Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 10yr old son's first deer !

My 10yr old son's first deer !

This story actually starts back in June when I posted asking for suggestions on cabin rentals or accommodation( we live on the island) somewhere in BC that would be a good place to take my son on his first hunting trip. I'm a relatively new hunter myself and have never hunted off the Island so I was really open to any and all suggestions. I immediately received some excellent suggestions for cabin rentals and accommodations in various regions along with some great info on where to hunt in each of those areas. I am very grateful for this help and plan to eventually try all of places with my son down the road.

However I also received a pm from "tomahawk" with a straight up invitation to go with him and his grandson on their hunting trip they were planning for the fall. I have to admit I was a little apprehensive at first but after meeting with "tomahawk" a few times I soon came to realize this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to not only take my son hunting but also for me to learn from someone I now realize is an extremely knowledgeable and seasoned veteran of the sport of hunting. Not only that, "tomahawk" also turned out to be one of the most kind, generous and genuine people I have ever met! He loves everything about hunting and takes great joy in seeing his grandson Ryan succeed as well as he was overjoyed to see my son take his first animal. As well as all that he did all the cooking on the trip and was an incredible host. This trip was one that my son and I will remember for the rest of our lives and we 100% have "tomahawk" to thank for that !

Now about the deer, which is a 2pt Muley and much bigger than my first tiny little spiker blacktail...lol ! I couldn't be more proud of my son, he started studying the CORE manual back in July, then took the course at the end of Aug, did well and had his own license and tags by the first week of Sept. The rest of the story isn't long, we had split up from "tomahawk' and his grandson for a little while and then I spotted this nice buck about 100 yards through the trees. My son immediately wanted me to shoot it, but I told him nope we are here for you to get a deer and I will be proud of you no matter what happens. He said ok Dad I'm ready, help me get set up. It took four times of repositioning him for the shot and the buck had just about had enough of us so I grab hold of my sons shooting stick to help steady his shot and I said to him " listen to me son, the deer sees us and he is going to take off. I want you to put the crosshairs on his chest and pull the trigger ! He looked at me for a second then said " ok dad" he then looked into his scope and BANG ! The deer did a little circle and went down only a few feet away ! I then grabbed my sons gun, loaded another round then slowly made my way up to where I thought I saw the deer go down and there it was ! I yelled for my son to come see and by the time he got to me he had tears of joy streaming down his face and he kept saying, " I did it dad, I shot when you said and I did !!! " and then he hugged me and then we both had tears.

One of the happiest days of my life !!!

Two very proud boys !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My 10yr old son's first deer !

Love these kind of posts. Congrats to the kids!

Cool way to go great deer!
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Awesome!! It doesn't get ant bettor. And a big way to go to Tomohawk
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Super story on so many important levels. Congratulations to your son, yourself , Tomahawk and Ryan . Well done.

Congrats to all involved, some good memories there.

Very well done, congrats to you and the boys!

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

That is wicked!!!
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Nicely done! Congrats to you and your son...
    Live to Hunt...

Frigging awesome. Can't wait till my kids are able to do this.