Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post rut moose?

Post rut moose?

Seems like the GOS, Oct. 20th-26th in WMU's 6 and so on are post rut, do the bulls still come in to calls this late? Any tips on post rut moose hunting would be interesting. I guess a guys got get out and see what happens if no LEH's were drawn!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Post rut moose?

Hmm IF post rut..bulls will be exhausted..they will concentrate on limited movement..between bedding and feeding areas..no major movements..building their reserves.interesting the weather and early snow signal a drive for major feeding..up to 40 pounds of browse each day..2 wheelbarrows worth..lots of feeding .
    The cows not bred or breeding didn't result in pregnancy will go into second estrus..usually it's smaller younger bulls that participate in this second estrus..put me in coach..I'm ready to play..
    At this time..post rut..look for the food..red willow..red.....green bedding areas..slightly elevated ..bulls won't bed in the wet..bedding in amongst trees..warmer saves calories from being used for heat.
    First thing in am..look along treeline for bulls warming in mornings first rays of warmth melting their frost covering their backs..

Strategies involve watching food areas and s l o w l y still hunting bedding areas walking into the wind watching for bedded bulls.
    Bulls usually bed on points..where they have multiple escape routes..
    I personally feel the rut isn't over yet .
    Cheers
    Straight shooting
    Steven

Thanks for the tips, lots to think about there. I was thinking of finding some fresh sign and stalking, we do have a small skiff to use as well. We will be up in the Babine lake area, looks like lots of roads and I imagine lots of hunters. Is it worth calling after the 20th of October?

I will be calling into november. At worst i dont think it will scare them away

There will be lots of hunters but 3/4's of them won't stray too far from the road. What Steven said about post rut hunting...just do it as far from the roads as you can get. I too call late in the season. You're never as quiet as you think, so you might as well try and blend in.

Yes worth calling. .
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by jiboo88 View Post
    Seems like the GOS, Oct. 20th-26th in WMU's 6 and so on are post rut, do the bulls still come in to calls this late? Any tips on post rut moose hunting would be interesting. I guess a guys got get out and see what happens if no LEH's were drawn!

We've had some of our best results calling in bulls during the GOS hunt ... you just need below zero mornings. It will be mostly younger bulls (two to four year olds) still rutting which is why the hunt is during the October 20 - 26 period. The big bulls rut early and are quite often holed up and feeding heavy in prep for winter.

That said, the biggest-bodied bull I have taken in South Skeena (820 lbs. skinned and quartered) came quietly to a cow call on October 25th ... it was -6 that morning.

Cow calling is never a bad idea, just don't expect them to come in hard all the time.

Rut is still on. Followed a set of tracks 4 km this morning in the snow. Whatever moose it was, browsed a little, but was definitely on a mission of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Rut is still on. Followed a set of tracks 4 km this morning in the snow. Whatever moose it was, browsed a little, but was definitely on a mission of some sort.
    Very good point..moving moose versus feeding moose very different track scenario..post rut feeding shows straight repeated tracks bedding to food and back.snow high lites the reason for the movement..
    Good luck
    Steven

Our hunt is Nov 1 -15. Usually our plan is a result of the snow level but the tactic is pretty much the same... find the food and the moose usually are not far off, red willow, we call it moose candy. Have had no luck calling the past 7 yrs of hunting this unit (as a group). Just getting organized for our hunt in 2 weeks 5-15, hopefully snow doesn't stick just yet