Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Hunter culture, want to bow hunt.

No Hunter culture, want to bow hunt.

Edit: Sorry for the poor grammar and wording, wrote it on my phone with a cracked screen.

Hi guys,

Recently I found that I developed an interest in bowhunting. Basically my love for nature and the animals came to a head with my wanderlust, need for a clean food source requirements etc. The problem is, I'm 28 and haven't hunted or fished a day in my life, nor has anyone in my family or immediate social circle.

Here is what I've done so far.

I've been practicing archery with a 40lb recurve at Semiahmoo Fish and Game Club. Also, I've been listening to lots of meateater, full draw, jrepodcasts and am even playing a realistic hunting game to get a sense of what's involved.

I have my CORE, bcwfid and my PAL (figured having a shotgun to protect myself from bears while elk or Deer hunting. If this is a crazy idea then it's just indicative of how dire straits I'm in).

I would like to go hunting but need guidance. A guided hunt sounds too expensive and the fundamental idea seems odd especially if it's just you and the guide. Again, could be my incorrect preconceived idea.

Currently I'm getting over an ankle injury and doubt I'll hunt this season. I have a year to get in shape but can anyone suggest a way to find a dependable, respectful hunting partner(s)? I'd be very appreciative.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: No Hunter culture, want to bow hunt.

Its been said that finding a good fit for a hunting partner is harder than finding a good wife
    There is no magic hook-up method
    Back in the old days, wandering around a bar buying beers used to suffice for networking, but that is less pc as time goes on
    Good call about not using a guide, its not their job to teach hunting
    Good luck with you pursuit
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Where are you located

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    Where are you located
    Lower mainland, south Surrey

I think there are guys on here that do a pub night in the valley somewhere. maple ridge? but maybe off season only? that would be a good spot to meet someone in the flesh to see about tagging along or training offseason.

I'm new to the bow as well but because of distance would be hard to meet up. I'm sure there are some other guys in your situation. If your new to the sport I do recommend listening to Highlander hunting podcast. Those guy are learning as they go and have a couple good guests with some good information especially for people that are new to the sport.

If you don't really think you are getting out this season anyway, then mixing at your club and attending upcoming archery events will do you more good than being anonymous on an Internet forum.

I know many good eggs from your neck of the woods, and there are lots of 3D shoots all the time where you can meet them and make friends. You're shooting traditional, lots of decent folks on the LML do too, and there are traditional only events like the TBBC with a few opportunities and possibilities thru the guys you'd meet there.

I have made great friendships thru this game and many folks I would go hunt with and take to my spots in a heartbeat, but (no offence meant) I wouldn't be if the intros had been just thru the internet. You get what you give.

You could do far worse than talking to Ol' King Kenny (Greybark on here), he's a been a "traddie" and bowhunter since god was a boy and still going strong at the shoots

As long as you have some good equipment and knowledge of safety in the woods, getting out solo can be very rewarding as well, some of my best learning experiences have been hunting and hiking solo...if your looking for some tips, feel free to pm me..

Come to the TBBC. Talk to some folks. I will chat with ya! Lots to learn, but mostly ya gotta practice and get out there. PM anytime
    stumpstalker.ca- Wood arrows, Spruce arrow shafts, and other trad gear.

"A society grows strong when old men plant trees under who shade they know they shall never sit."

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    I think there are guys on here that do a pub night in the valley somewhere. maple ridge? but maybe off season only? that would be a good spot to meet someone in the flesh to see about tagging along or training offseason.
    7 pm first Wednesday of the month at Jimmy Mac pub 199 and 96 Ave Langley

commonly commented on huntbc as a reminder
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."