Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewart Lake CO,s and tickets

Re: Stewart Lake CO,s and tickets

Cutting firewood, gutting an elk, lots of reasons to leave a loaded gun nearby.

I figure if I'm smart enough to fire a shot and know I'm not going to kill anything other than my intended target, I'm smart enough to load a gun and set it down in a place safe enough not to kill something by accident. Gun with clip in set against a tree? Fine by me.

Who do I sue if I get attacked by a grizzly while trying to jam my clip into my gun and cycle the action?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Cutting firewood, gutting an elk, lots of reasons to leave a loaded gun nearby.

I figure if I'm smart enough to fire a shot and know I'm not going to kill anything other than my intended target, I'm smart enough to load a gun and set it down in a place safe enough not to kill something by accident. Gun with clip in set against a tree? Fine by me.

Who do I sue if I get attacked by a grizzly while trying to jam my clip into my gun and cycle the action?
    I have to agree with you. I for one don't see a problem with a clip in the gun and nothing in the chamber. I know the rules but I feel that the CO in this instance could have used his discretion.

Hmmm just for shit and giggles I went through a exercise to see how long it would take me to defend my wife and my life if i needed to defend us with my legal long gun.properly stored.if a really bad person came into our home and I was forced to use deadly force .
    I was horrified to learn we both would be dead, no chance to access our legal firearm .to go to where the long gun is.to access hidden keys for the trigger lock, then to access ammo, clip stored separately and locked up securely.
    Doing this took 3 minutes.far too long to be useful..rules..intent and literal interpretation.
    Susan bought me Primos gen 2 shooting sticks..even comes with Jim Shockey likeness..just so I wasn't tempted to lean against my quad when she learned touching the truck or quad was illegal...time consuming to set up and use however works very well.
    Srupp

I talked to a CO about using the truck hood as a gun rest. He told me as long as your two feet are planted on the ground, it is ok.

Good to know..

I always have my slug barreled 12g loaded, with one in the barrel, (safety on of course), leaning up against something, while in camp, solo...

Won't lean it against the truck tire any more...
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by northernbc View Post
    While at Stewart lake fishing with the wife I met a fellow there who was out hunting and camping at the lake. On the day he arrived he took his rifle (unloaded) jumped on his quad with his chainsaw and headed out for some firewood. He told me that he found a tree stopped and got ready to fall it. He decided to load his rifle as there was a lot of bear sign there. After loading it he leaned the rifle against one tire of the quad. After falling the tree he was bucking up the tree and a co stopped and ticked him for a loaded firearm in a vehicle. Bloody rubbish. I saw the same co later and talked to him about discretion and intent. But the co was very happy with what he did. Poor job judgement.
    How much was the ticket?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    I talked to a CO about using the truck hood as a gun rest. He told me as long as your two feet are planted on the ground, it is ok.
    Not to my knowledge... as far as I know you can not lean on any part of any vehicle while shooting. 99% sure of this.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Came across Billy-bob last week parked on a bridge, truck door open and gun through the open window shooting a grouse. My son looked at me and said “I thought we couldn’t shoot from the truck?” Wish a CO had been around. What a douche! Laws are made for the dumb 2% and enforced without rationale on the rest of us.

I write to clarify the opinion provided on September 10, 2009, regarding the use of a motor vehicle as a rest for the discharge of a firearm.

After further discussions with the COS and legal counsel the interpretation provided previously may not have been completely accurate. An individual is probably not breaking the law if they lean against a vehicle to steady their shot, provided both feet are on the ground. There is a possibility that the term “in or on” applies to the person and not the firearm.

However, this is not a recommended practice as there is a limited field of vision in an area where there is a high likelihood of other people being present. This activity comprises only a portion of a hunt, and as with every situation, the actions of a Conservation Officer would reflect specific circumstances

Regards,

Stephen MacIver
    Fish and Wildlife Branch
    Ministry of Environment
    (250) 387-9767
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I write to clarify the opinion provided on September 10, 2009, regarding the use of a motor vehicle as a rest for the discharge of a firearm.

After further discussions with the COS and legal counsel the interpretation provided previously may not have been completely accurate. An individual is probably not breaking the law if they lean against a vehicle to steady their shot, provided both feet are on the ground. There is a possibility that the term “in or on” applies to the person and not the firearm.

However, this is not a recommended practice as there is a limited field of vision in an area where there is a high likelihood of other people being present. This activity comprises only a portion of a hunt, and as with every situation, the actions of a Conservation Officer would reflect specific circumstances

Regards,

Stephen MacIver
    Fish and Wildlife Branch
    Ministry of Environment
    (250) 387-9767
    WOW ! That just opened a can of worms...yikes.
    Srupp