Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewart Lake CO,s and tickets

Re: Stewart Lake CO,s and tickets

Good to hear the nanny state is alive and kicking

If I am not mistaking, even resting a loaded gun against a tree or on the ground can result in unsafe storage or careless use. Some laws are vague catchall's and others are open to interpretation which leads to letter of the law vs spirit of the law type arguments. I don't see much of an issue putting down a loaded firearm (whether resting it against a tire, bumper or tree) if you need two hands to do something but have predators around.

Anyway, was this ticket/fine something that is under the Wildlife Act or was it actually a Firearms Act / Criminal Code violation? At least it just seems to be a fine vs an actual criminal charge.

I have no issues with the CO on this one. Although a quad is a bit different, I can't think of too many ways that you can lean a loaded rifle against a vehicle and still have the muzzle pointed in a "safe" direction. As others have said, this one is very black and white.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Should be allowed to have a loaded magazine and empty chamber in regards to vehicles.

In my opinion a gun isn't loaded with out a live round in the chamber.
    Opinions don't count in the courtroom.

Leaning against a rear bumper, it if it magically discharged, it would go through the tail gate, roof and whatever is beyond that (hillside, tree, etc) without much energy left. Probably less dangerous (to anything other than the vehicle) than a shoulder or cradle carry AD.

Leaning against a tire, it would probably go through the wheel well and floor pan and roof..
    maybe engine block or hood which ought to slow things down a bit.

Not really any different than leaning it against a tree or on the ground (still technically illegal I believe)

I think the greater danger lies in forgetting the gun is leaning against the vehicle, then trying to drive a way (in which case it falls) or worse (doing a 3-point turn over it)

Sometimes it is necessary to have a loaded gun handy but not on your person. Though it might not be legal to lean a against a vehicle or tree, it I can see how these things happen in real life.

I really think it comes down to a spirit of the law vs letter of the law. The only way to be certain you don't run into trouble is to make sure a firearm is always unloaded unless on your person... so unload and then lean it against the tree before you do your duty... don't get busted with your pants down
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-13-2017 at 06:16 PM.

My uncle, a long time RCMP, would have asked if the law was from the Poultry Act. Because it sure is chickenshit.

Nanny state at its worst.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I Think a WARNING would have being Sufficent ! jmo RJ

On the very same day, the CO at Steward Lk busted a hunter who had killed a 10 point moose. Problem was the moose was only 9.5 points. Cost the hunter a seized moose and a $384 fine. (I may be a bit out on the amount but it was substantial).

Later he visited our camp and checked stuff. Licenses, tags, etc. He told us that he was also randomly checking Pals, drivers licences, helmets, insurance and all the other shit we have to pack. Some of our group got looked at more than others. Interestingly enough, he couldn’t use his licence app because the morning download didn’t work.
    "If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk"

Hmmm was at a extremely remote fly in lake.remote! Co, s flew by enroute"to an offense..and stopped, did a dangerous hot debark"".all had hands on weapons ! First guy literally ran to the lake where we were camped..i asked who died? Why the rush? What was he looking for ? He said he was looking for " peas, corn, or evidence of us washing foodstuffs into the lake "
    The next nice officer made Tim unwrap all 4 quarters of the first moose..looking for evidence of sex, legal hide to identify species.
    The 3rd officer asked how many in camp..i said 4 hunters..he spotted the tampons. .and asked..who's those were ?
    I said " those are Tims..your going to ask him about it..".. lol
    Really agressive, at $4,000 / hour for wages and A star chopper .
    Although when talking to Russ" at Swan lake he said it was one of THE best camps for layout, equipment he had ever seen..however they treated us as if criminals and seemed genuinely upset we were squeeky" clean.
    On the other hand Len Butler local inspector for C o, s one of the most upstanding guys you will ever meet.
    Infractions real or imagined means overtime special ops, job security..all those bad hunter dudes...
    Srupp
    Last edited by srupp; 10-13-2017 at 08:56 PM.

The COs have a tough job, like all enforcement officers. But they are human, with all of the good and bad that comes with that.

I think I agree with the COs on this one.