Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Stewart Lake CO,s and tickets

Re: Stewart Lake CO,s and tickets

Completely ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by squamishhunter View Post
    An armed society is a polite society. That CO had no grounds to act in that manner.
    Kidding... .right? Like C says, Nog was clearly a threat and must have dealt with a real rookie if the peace officer didn't come back with Federal charges. Hard to believe this one didn't go further
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

As to the original story about the loaded gun leaning on the quad, I bet there was discussion about when the rifle was actually loaded
    A hunter, in hunting area drives to a spot to get fire wood with an empty rifle , and then when about to fire up a chainsaw and do the chore, decides that is the time a loaded rifle might be handy
    Suspicions and what-ifs aside, the CO used the laws available to him to lay a charge

As kids, we were once charged with open liquor in a vehicle. The eight new cases of beer were all sealed, but an empty can that had been rolling around the truck box for weeks 'appeared to have some liquid inside that may have been an alcoholic beverage'. Ouch, that one hurt that Saturday night bash.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    How can a firearm be considered in a vehicle when it's leaning against the vehicle?
    Out hunting riding dirty. CO pulls you over. Put your loaded firearm out the window and lean it against your vehicle. Walla, no more loaded firearm in the vehicle.

Cutting firewood. They just pushed the road farther in and left a stack of birch. The SPF had been hauled out, but the birch was just a weed in the way. So I bucked up a few loads. On one of the trips a two point moose stepped out to watch me buck and load the truck. He was less than 10 yards from me. He stuck around until I was almost finished. Usually I had my rifle slipped in the blanket seat cover, but not that day. I guess I had left it in the cabin that morning.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser98 View Post
    On the very same day, the CO at Steward Lk busted a hunter who had killed a 10 point moose. Problem was the moose was only 9.5 points. Cost the hunter a seized moose and a $384 fine. (I may be a bit out on the amount but it was substantial).

Later he visited our camp and checked stuff. Licenses, tags, etc. He told us that he was also randomly checking Pals, drivers licences, helmets, insurance and all the other shit we have to pack. Some of our group got looked at more than others. Interestingly enough, he couldn’t use his licence app because the morning download didn’t work.
    Your quote----All the other shit we have to pack.

Yes, perhaps it is getting somewhat redicules. High time for the regulation makers to reworke "the Act". They are loosing support of the Hunters. These days no Fun to be a "Conservation Officer". Nowwhere else in civilized in the civilized World do Game Wardens wear Bullet proof Gear and carry Pistols on there hip.

Happy hunting !

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Arrow Re: Stewart Lake CO,s and tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    You are lucky that the CO wasn't carrying a sidearm at the time, or if he was, that he didn't draw on you. You were clearly acting in a threatening manner and had deliberitaly loaded a rifle to confront the CO. I think it would have been quite legitimate to draw on you and shoot if you didn't drop the rifle immediately
    That occurred when I was 18, not quite 19 years of age.
    I was 195 pounds of Fighting Machine - years of training in both Boxing and Tae Kwon-Do.
    And I had an attitude about six yards wide.

40 years ago this fall...

They did not have sidearms in those days, just issue rifles & scatterguns.
    I was indeed threatening.
    He could have never made it to his rifle in his truck, and knew it. As did I.
    Would I have shot him? Not a chance. Worst bluff I've ever played in my life.
    And again, one I would never repeat.

His actions were completely unfounded. He was indeed way out of line IMO at the time.
    As was my response. Completely that is.
    And yes, damn lucky the situation did not escalate.

Since then, I grew up (a little).
    I wore the badge for both Alberta F&W, and National Parks.
    And yes, had the odd encounter involving firearms. Quite Thankfully never had to use one on any Two-Legs.
    And I well understand the situation for what it might have been...

Like I said, it's a story I don't often repeat. For rather obvious reasons.

Cheers,
    Nog

PS: OP - Tell the man to take it to court.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I think they write tickets a lot of the time knowing you won't show up to dispute it. When they take your ID they know where you reside and would you spend a couple days to drive 1000 miles round trip to dispute a ticket. I have fought every ticket ever issued to me except one. I have also never encountered a CO just police. I lived in Poco and got a speeding ticket in Vanderhoof. When I was pulled over I get the usual do you know why you are being stopped and I said no. He tells me I was speeding and he will be right back. I said can you make detailed notes as I will be disputing any ticket since my Mom lives here so it's easy to come back to visit. He came back after a couple minutes and gave me my license + insurance back and tells me to drive safely. No ticket, just a verbal warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    I think they write tickets a lot of the time knowing you won't show up to dispute it. When they take your ID they know where you reside and would you spend a couple days to drive 1000 miles round trip to dispute a ticket. I have fought every ticket ever issued to me except one. I have also never encountered a CO just police. I lived in Poco and got a speeding ticket in Vanderhoof. When I was pulled over I get the usual do you know why you are being stopped and I said no. He tells me I was speeding and he will be right back. I said can you make detailed notes as I will be disputing any ticket since my Mom lives here so it's easy to come back to visit. He came back after a couple minutes and gave me my license + insurance back and tells me to drive safely. No ticket, just a verbal warning.
    Years ago in Ontario I worked with COs on occasion. During the moose season in Northern Ontario a lot of "southerners" drove for a couple of days to hunt. One of the main offences the COs loved to write people up for was "hunting on road". These roads included deactivated logging roads. I said to one guy isn't that a really chicken shit charge? He replied yes but we know they are not going to come back from Toronto to fight the ticket plus it's good for stats. Another one was not having your gun in a case after dark. So if you are coming from your duck blind or tree stand after dark you had to bring a case in with you. The cased gun had to be out of reach while in the vehicle. I never heard of anyone getting charged for leaning a gun on a truck or quad. More similar stories too many to remember. Main point here is with many provincial regulations they are poorly written, leaving way too much discretionary power to COs. One CO says it's not illegal to do whatever and the next guy says it is. You have every right to contest tickets in court. From my experience some of them are not prepared for trial and the case gets tossed.

Don't get me wrong here I am 100% behind law enforcement and COs do a very important and dangerous job. If regulations are written in plain english with no room for interpretation this would make life a lot easier for them and us.
    Proud member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Hunt,Kill,Eat

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser98 View Post
    On the very same day, the CO at Steward Lk busted a hunter who had killed a 10 point moose. Problem was the moose was only 9.5 points. Cost the hunter a seized moose and a $384 fine. (I may be a bit out on the amount but it was substantial).

Later he visited our camp and checked stuff. Licenses, tags, etc. He told us that he was also randomly checking Pals, drivers licences, helmets, insurance and all the other shit we have to pack. Some of our group got looked at more than others. Interestingly enough, he couldn’t use his licence app because the morning download didn’t work.
    How do you figure it was 9.5 points? There can only be a 9 or 10 point. Not in between