Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First solo animal!

Re: First solo animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajsawden View Post
    Great story and nice buck! It's always nice when everything comes together.

Words of wisdom. Try not to get blood on your tag, it makes some COs very angry. Good luck out there!
    is that because in theory you should have cut the tag before gutting and getting covered in blood???????? Maybe you handled the tag after cutting and gutting....they are loose tags now not all protected in a book.... i know i would have another look at my cut tag after the work was done...bloody hands or not

nice work there.....great pics to remember the entire trip.....good on you!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    is that because in theory you should have cut the tag before gutting and getting covered in blood??
    Yes, this part. In an experience from way back, I learned to keep my tags spotless. My bro shot his first buck, it was a neck shot on a blacktail from only 25yards. It dropped in it's tracks with a broken neck but with no other vitals badly hit, we dispatched it with the knife. Then with bloody hands and knife, the tag was cut. That day we stopped at a game check on the mainline and learned many things about the rules and consequences. It could have resulted in a seizure and a fine but thankfully he gave us only a warning. In this scenario now, I'd cut his tag with a clean knife, or i suppose you could put another bullet in it. It's a weird rule for sure. I also double and triple check my tag to make sure i did it correctly. I guess with the new ones we could wash them as they are waterproof plastic.

nice job great adventure. Good to see a succsessfull hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajsawden View Post
    Yes, this part. In an experience from way back, I learned to keep my tags spotless. My bro shot his first buck, it was a neck shot on a blacktail from only 25yards. It dropped in it's tracks with a broken neck but with no other vitals badly hit, we dispatched it with the knife. Then with bloody hands and knife, the tag was cut. That day we stopped at a game check on the mainline and learned many things about the rules and consequences. It could have resulted in a seizure and a fine but thankfully he gave us only a warning. In this scenario now, I'd cut his tag with a clean knife, or i suppose you could put another bullet in it. It's a weird rule for sure. I also double and triple check my tag to make sure i did it correctly. I guess with the new ones we could wash them as they are waterproof plastic.
    I pack a small pair of sissors them fisherman use ... new tags are hard to cancel with a knife.

Congrats and thanks for the story. It’s always a great feeling when you don’t see blood and think maybe you missed but then find your deer.

Again, thanks guys for the feedback!

I kind of bloodied the tag up a bit pulling it out of my wallet to take the picture because I wanted the blood in my hands for it . I'll make sure I wash it off next time as these new licenses seem like they can take a bit of water

Congrats on a nice buck. Take care of the meat and it should be delicious.

Good work Golddust!

Congrats and thanks for the write-up. It made me feel like I was out hunting instead of on my way to work!!