Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tat hunt results

tat hunt results

hi everyone, as posted previously I will give an update on what you would expect in 6-29 by shinny lake. I'm not the greatest story teller but I'll try to give as much detail on the area. We arrived on oct 12 th in Whitehorse and took a cab to Alpine Aviation as soon as we received our bags, we waited for about an hour at the float plane then they flew 6 of us in 2 Cessna's which took about an hour to the lake. We camped at the south end of the lake, pretty much lake side about 400yds by the few pines that are there, not much fire wood around but with 3 young serpas we had lots. the first day we arrived set up camp and started glassing and spotted a ram, could not really tell the age or size so the next day 3 guys hiked up to a have looksee, it was only about a 4-5 year old, while the other guys were confirming that ram ,on our way back the other group of 3, I spotted a band of rams in which would only be seen from the angle we walked, we glassed this band for a good 3 hours and decided there were 3 shooters in there, so back at camp that night a game plan was made, and my son headed up the mountain with the other boys first thing in the morning(this is now day 3) I stayed behind and watched the hunt from below through the Swaro. long story short, it took them aprox 4 hours to climb 2500 vertical ft and in position on top of the rams. I then sat patiently waiting for the shot while watching the rams feed and bed down then get up and feed, then bed down again, the suspense was killing me wondering why there was no shots(I know there is a legal ram there) and I couldn't see the boys where they were stationed above them. Another hour passes and the Rams stand up again , aprox 20 min later the legal rams separate aprox 50 ft from each other and BANG, the rams scatter, nothing down, F......CK, then the rams stop and BANG, Ram down. Well we were pumped down below and smiles as wide a the jokers face, so the boys ended up coming down the same day and arrived back at camp around 8pm, and they went straight to bed after a few congrats and good jobs. Day 4 was pretty much around camp caping and salting the hide. As for the area, for hunting grizz and moose, they are there, we saw some BIG moose and grizz, but the willow bushes are about 7ft high and thick, without horses it's pretty tough to walk and stalk a moose or grizz, when you see them , by the time you walk to get in range they are gone, it takes way to long to walk through the willows. We spotted Goats as well, but this was day 7 when spotted, the boys went to the base of the mountain and camp over night where the goats were , but when they woke the next day the goats were gone, a few more days and im pretty sure there would have been Billie's on the ground as well.the lake is full of rainbows we were catching off shore in the 1 1/2 to 2 lb range, which made a great break from the MH dinners, the area is beautiful but really hard to hunt moose or grizz with out horses.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: tat hunt results

2500 vertical feet, I'd still be laying there!!
    Nice story.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Thanks for sharing. Cool that you could watch the hunt unfold!

Sounds like an awesome adventure! Congratulations on your ram!
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Great story thx and thx for the information on area

Do you mean sept 12 not oct 12?

Thank God for Sherpas!

"Sat and waited patiently" followed by "the suspense was killing me"
    Sounds like a great hunt, congrats.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Wow what a great trip you all had.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

guest Guest

Sounds like a great trip. Congrats to you.

That at would be a good adventure.

Congrats on getting a sheep. Any pics of the trip?