Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bristol Bay Under Fire

Thumbs down Bristol Bay Under Fire

Unbelievable!
    With this nutbar at the helm, nothing appears to be sacred any more...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/politi...nvs/index.html

Sadly,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bristol Bay Under Fire

Just some more shit that money can buy, pretty nice country up there but they will screw it completely and not give a rat's ass about it until it's to late.

Wreck it now.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Arrow Re: Bristol Bay Under Fire

"You guys better stay the ‘Environmental Protection Agency’ and not ‘empty promises to America'."

http://kdlg.org/post/pebble-opponent...eting#stream/0

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Unbelievable!
    With this nutbar at the helm, nothing appears to be sacred any more...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/politi...nvs/index.html

Sadly,
    Nog
    Dear ****ing god, here comes me a resident left winger to defend a mine.

Point 1: READ the actual mining plan that Northern Dynasty has brought forth recently. THE MINE IS NOT IN BRISTOL BAY, IT IS IN THE MOUNTAINS 100 MILES AWAY.

Point 2: only ONE of the drainages 100 miles away which carries about 1% of the fishing spawning territory would be effected in the VERY unlikely event of an issue (this isn't Imperial Metals). THIS WILL NOT HARM THE FISH AND CAN COEXIST JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER LARGE MINE WITH OVERSIGHT. The BBWA was proven to be manipulated and biased IN COURT, and utilized a mining plan THAT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PERMITTABLE TO BEGIN WITH, and was MANY TIMES larger than the plan being proposed by PLP, which is NOT the world's largest pit mine.

They are NOT mining in a way that could in any situation harm the upper talarik drainage.

Point 3: The burrough and Dillingham have terrible poverty, population loss, lack of power, and unemployment. Starting salaries will be over 100k with local hiring.

Point 4: Lots of residents of Illiamna and such support the opportunity.

Point 5: Alaska is dependendant on the declining resource of oil. Gold and Copper are primary components of renewable energy technology. The permanent fund is widdling down. PLP can produce as much tax revenue as the ENTIRE MINING INDUSTRY IN ALASKA

Point 5: The project will pipe in power to the region, allowing fish coolers to drive up profitibality and quality of products.

Point 6: Most of the quotas are held by large foreign interests, and the jobs are short term. PLP is committing to building fish habitat and improving habitat (like has been successfully done with Red Dog), providing profit sharing to locals, and commitment to assist in purchasing back quotas to Bristol Bay natives.

Point 7: THIS is clean energy and technology, this is meeting the demand for gold/copper needed to move away from far more destructive fossil fuels. we are FAR from the amount of gold/copper needed for feasibly recycling programs.

Point 8: They are NOT using cyanide for gold extraction (thus sacrificing 15% of yield) which GREATLY reduces risk from contamination.

Point 9: These are DRY tailings, scant water is floated on top to reduce risk of dust.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, as people some to ignore/not get.

THIS IS NOT A PERMITTED MINE. This is the mine being allowed to go through the legal permitting process in order to have it receive an EIS from the Army Corps of Engineers. The EPA could then with a PROPER mine plan submitted issue a 404c Veto. The pre-emptive veto was settled as being unlawful already.

RICH THOUGH, that BBNC and BBEDC manage to RUN OTHER MINES NEAR FISHING AREAS themselves.

PS Ignore the noise that NDM has never run a mine, it's a part of Hunter Dickinson which has made several mines including the very successful run Detour Gold.
    Last edited by ducktoller; 10-14-2017 at 11:13 AM.

A leftie Duck Toller owner, join the club.
    Interesting stuff you've posted - it's always good to see both sides of any argument.

Arrow Re: Bristol Bay Under Fire

From the Alaska Forum, a Member who is a consultant to the industry:

"Laws are only as good as the government’s ability to ensure compliance. Plus, bad luck and accidents can happen, even under the best of circumstances. Just look at the mine tailings disaster at Mount Polley mine in BC.

If “Mount Polley mine” doesn’t sound familiar, let me refresh your memory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Polley_mine_disaster

That mine was licensed and built under the strictest of environmental standards. But the dam holding the mine tailings failed, for a variety of reasons. But those reasons are irrelevant now since the damage has been done.

If something like this happens in the Bristol Bay watershed, the damage would be beyond anything imaginable. And the people most affected would be the folks who have lived there since time immemorial, and the salmon that have been there for millions of years. If risking their future for gold or copper isn’t important to the decision-makers in Juneau or Washington DC, I’m not sure what is.

Anyone who thinks this mine should be permitted has not looked at the history of this type of mining throughout North America. If they did, they would understand the environmental and human health risks involved, the lack of honesty and transparency among the developers, the inability of government agencies to verify compliance or enforce existing environmental standards, the long-lasting catastrophic environmental damage (local and regional) that has occurred, and the complete lack of accountability for any clean-up.

Unfortunately, the current regulatory process cannot correct these issues. And they will never be able to eliminate the most serious risks (dishonesty, lack of accountability, and bad luck)."

Just a knowledgeable Local's Perspective...

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    From the Alaska Forum, a Member who is a consultant to the industry:

"Laws are only as good as the government’s ability to ensure compliance. Plus, bad luck and accidents can happen, even under the best of circumstances. Just look at the mine tailings disaster at Mount Polley mine in BC.

If “Mount Polley mine” doesn’t sound familiar, let me refresh your memory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Polley_mine_disaster

That mine was licensed and built under the strictest of environmental standards. But the dam holding the mine tailings failed, for a variety of reasons. But those reasons are irrelevant now since the damage has been done.

If something like this happens in the Bristol Bay watershed, the damage would be beyond anything imaginable. And the people most affected would be the folks who have lived there since time immemorial, and the salmon that have been there for millions of years. If risking their future for gold or copper isn’t important to the decision-makers in Juneau or Washington DC, I’m not sure what is.

Anyone who thinks this mine should be permitted has not looked at the history of this type of mining throughout North America. If they did, they would understand the environmental and human health risks involved, the lack of honesty and transparency among the developers, the inability of government agencies to verify compliance or enforce existing environmental standards, the long-lasting catastrophic environmental damage (local and regional) that has occurred, and the complete lack of accountability for any clean-up.

Unfortunately, the current regulatory process cannot correct these issues. And they will never be able to eliminate the most serious risks (dishonesty, lack of accountability, and bad luck)."

Just a knowledgeable Local's Perspective...

Cheers,
    Nog
    Bbnc is ignoring the people in illiamna who support the mine coming too.

And hdi has a solid and safe histry of responsible mining unlike imperial. Different companies situations an dgeology. And ndm has done a good job cleaning as they've gone so far.