Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations for radio to use on fsr

Need recommendations for radio to use on fsr

Looking for recommendations for a radio I can use to call and receive my position on logging rds. I don't know what type of radio is used (vhf uhf.?) Looking for an economical brand. I mean cheap btw not "buy quality once" economical. Other question is, do i need a license to call my position? I assume people would rather see me calling without the paperwork as opposed to not calling and being surprised to see me on the rd. Also would need to know how to find the channels being used on a given rd.

I know this has come up before but I'm not very proficient with the search feature here.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need recommendations for radio to use on fsr

just go the the nearest radio shop and purchase a icom radio for your truck. Ask them to put the resource road channels in it.
    Handheld radios don't transmit very far so get one for your truck. Most people are not certified to legally run a radio but I've never heard anyone being asked for paperwork.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

I recommend a Kenwood. Also ask to have it so you can plug it in to your cigarette lighter so it can easily be removed.

If it's a reputable shop you will have to sign a license. Unless you know of some specifics channel that you want to chat with buddies all you will need is the RR and LD channels. I also recommend getting the LAD channels installed in a different bank. LAD channels are typically used by highway haulers but can be monitored by RCMP from time to time and if nothing else they can be extremely funny to listen to.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    just go the the nearest radio shop and purchase a icom radio for your truck. Ask them to put the resource road channels in it.
    Handheld radios don't transmit very far so get one for your truck. Most people are not certified to legally run a radio but I've never heard anyone being asked for paperwork.
    Good information right there,

also if you do decide to go with a handheld Icom makes excellent handheld radios, I use the 6Watt IC-M36 they're light, waterproof and it floats, as Brew says the transmit distance can be sketchy at times depending on height of land and line of sight, but for keeping in touch with a hunting partner and a being handheld doesn't get much better than that.

Checkout http://www.icomcanada.com/index.html
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Your looking for a 2 meter band VHF Radio. I've been using a truck mounted 65 watt Icom 2200H for years that I use to communicate with. When running a FSR I also will use my Puxing handheld to monitor and call on FSR freq. This system allow me to communicate (BS) with the rest of the trucks I am travelling with using my 2200H and still be able to monitor and call on the FSR freq I am travelling on. Puxing 777 or Baofeng handheld can be had for in the $60 range. The small $20 magnetic antenna I temporarily stick on the roof of my truck will give me a 5-10 mile range out of my 5 watt handheld. More than enough for a FSR.
    This system also works great if you are travelling with someone who does not have a truck mounted VHF. I just give them my handheld and slap the antenna on their roof. You now have two way communication between vehicles.

https://www.amazon.ca/Generic-Magnet...+uv-5r+antenna

I also use a small $9 handheld mike with my puxing that saves me having to pick up the handheld every time i want to call or listen.

https://www.amazon.ca/Baofeng-Origin...-5r+microphone

I know people with the baofeng uv-5r that quite like them. They are fairly easy to program and only cost about $60. They are hand held and get pretty good coverage.

Thanks for the info guys. I think if i can broadcast/ transmit a km or 2 i should be OK. The big thing for is being ask to listen. My buget is pretty tight now so cheap hand held is probably the right direction for me.

How do I find the appropriate channel for the rd I'm on? I know they're not always the same because I've turned onto roads with signs that tell you to change to one particular Channel or another however some roads don't have that sign. Is there a default Channel in that situation

Quote Originally Posted by huntingtime View Post
    I know people with the baofeng uv-5r that quite like them. They are fairly easy to program and only cost about $60. They are hand held and get pretty good coverage.
    This one gets good reviews (for a cheap chinese made) can i get one off the shelf somewhere here in the Lower Mainland or do I need to order it

Quote Originally Posted by buck nash View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I think if i can broadcast/ transmit a km or 2 i should be OK. The big thing for is being ask to listen. My buget is pretty tight now so cheap hand held is probably the right direction for me.

How do I find the appropriate channel for the rd I'm on? I know they're not always the same because I've turned onto roads with signs that tell you to change to one particular Channel or another however some roads don't have that sign. Is there a default Channel in that situation
    Your radio will be programed with the number's , RR1,RR2, etc.

The entrance to the fsr will have the road channel posted usually on a yellow sign
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member