Thread: Alberta mule deer hunt

Alberta mule deer hunt

Hey guys i was thinking of doing an alberta hunt i hear it take about 4 years to get the draw i was wondering if there is an alberta resident that will take you out for mule deer do you still have to put in the draw? I read somewhere that you wouldn't have to if you have a resident host you? Just wanting to clarify all the missing info i need thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alberta mule deer hunt

Quote Originally Posted by mulieaddiction View Post
    Hey guys i was thinking of doing an alberta hunt i hear it take about 4 years to get the draw i was wondering if there is an alberta resident that will take you out for mule deer do you still have to put in the draw? I read somewhere that you wouldn't have to if you have a resident host you? Just wanting to clarify all the missing info i need thanks!
    Most places are draw for rifle some archery seasons basically you just need to read the regs

To hunt Alberta big game you need a resident host or guide just like BC draw or open season does not matter

Re: Alberta mule deer hunt

In some WMU's it is as simple as showing up, buying a general tag and then heading out with your hunter host. You would also need a WIN card but that's As easy as just applying.

For instance, the area around Fort McMurray is open for antlered Mule deer on a general tag. I've been hunting here for 5 years and I'm yet to see a Mule deer during hunting season. I've only spotted one outside of Suncor base site and that was early summer on the Athabasca River above the Cascade falls. So there are a few here but not many. I haven't talked to anyone who has actually ever managed to get one.

For most of the rest of the province it is all draw for antlered Muley's during rifle season. Bow is a different story with lots of areas on general tag.

Arrow Re: Alberta mule deer hunt

You may no longer have the opportunity if some of their clubs get their way:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-Policy-Survey

Currently pretty well all the zones you can expect to take a good Alberta Muley with a rifle are on draw. You must submit your application with a Resident (in tandem). And you of course will need a hunter host to hunt. Priority periods range from 5 to 10 years to draw, dependent upon the zone and number of applications.

Bow hunting is open in quite a few eastern zones on a general tag. Need hunter host obviously.
    Expect these to go to draw soon as the Alberta Bow Association tightens up regarding both number of hunters, and cutting Non Resident Canadians out of the picture (one of their stated goals).

So, best be moving FAST! The changes that are noted in the link above will likely take place within 2 years.
    Doesn't leave much time before we are cut out of the picture over there for mulies (and a lot more)...

And there is very little cherry about that...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me