Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poached Cow Moose

Re: Poached Cow Moose

Interesting. Hope your not speaking of us. We were also in 7-26. Camped a couple miles below a very large group from Victoria. Same group had been there the year before. We had three Tacoma Trucks. We Also left Sat morning as we had always intended. In no great rush. But we were done as had filled our Bull Moose Leh. Was a least 5 other groups that we met that were hunting this area though. We had nothing to do with any Cow Moose though, with the exception of watching them waiting for a Bull to appear

Quote Originally Posted by Bomni View Post
    Not a snitch just thinking about fairness and hunting legally etc
    good on you for caring, I'd do the same and hope others would too...just found that comment surprising, but proves the need for the reporting app I suppose
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

the snitch comment that I saw...is absolutely ridiculous, and stupid comment.
    I have no issues reporting game casualties from poaching or misidentification etc.
    Hunter have to follow the rules....period.
    I hike in for 2 hours, straight uphill, and then some a-hole drives in with his truck/quad, in a road closure are...
    of course I am going o report it!!!
    sweat my bag off, and someone else just goes.."who cares"!!
    If that makes me a snitch....fine by me...but your still getting reported!
    Nothing wrong about reporting what you saw...takes pics of everything...tire tracks included.
    If it was legal, then all is good....but CO's will look into it if you report it...
    Although sometimes I am sure they don't have the time or resources for every kill...but...
    if they get several reports, from several incidents in the same area, they will be on it.

I agree with calling it in but I don't agree with pointing fingers with no evidence. If you didn't see them shoot, retrieve or transport it you have no right to accuse anyone. Not saying you did... but if you are discussing with other hunters in the area and are suggesting one group did it, that groups reputation can be damaged. I know I would be pissed if someone was suggesting my group was poaching because a dead cow was found in the area. I was called in for shooting an elk out of season because someone saw the antler sticking out from under a tarp in our trailer on the BC ferry. Definitely a hunter if they knew it was out of season. It was a moose from NE BC and was completely legal but I'm sure the hunter who called it in thought they had the facts straight. I'm not saying you shouldn't report the find but hunters also need to treat each other with respect and not damage trust over a hunch.

A decent sized portion of 7-26 is traditional hunting territory for the local FN, up near the Middle river if i remember correctly. good chance its a "sustenance" kill.

Hmm did you say..The nose was missing? Hmmmmm very special place in aboriginal cusine.....
    Steven

Steve you thinking a Stewart of The Land FN could poss be responsible ? RJ

Only saw two trucks with FN that looked to be hunting. One with two fn didn't want to talk to us. The other, by himself stopped us to ask if we had seen any black bear and if so where. Was a Nice guy. Didn't think he was targeting Moose as he was really motoring/ripping up and down all the side roads off the main. Blackies is what he was after. Of which there is no shortage where we were. Saw 5 in the week I was there. During the long conversation he told me that his son had taken a nice Bull the weekend before, just down the road from where we were talking.
    As Steve said . Moose Nose seems to be a Delicacy to FN's.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...-way-1.2926713

Moose Tongue is awesome. Now that I have the recipe, I will have to try some Nose Soup when the next Bullwinkle goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Interesting. Hope your not speaking of us. We were also in 7-26. Camped a couple miles below a very large group from Victoria. Same group had been there the year before. We had three Tacoma Trucks. We Also left Sat morning as we had always intended. In no great rush. But we were done as had filled our Bull Moose Leh. Was a least 5 other groups that we met that were hunting this area though. We had nothing to do with any Cow Moose though, with the exception of watching them waiting for a Bull to appear
    The group you are referring to was our group and no I am not suggesting it was your group (as some people might think I am) as you are also regulars there like us and that would be silly. As you mentioned there were many other groups hunting in the area.When I spoke to the CO he said it is possible that it could have be a FN but again I did witness the shot itself. I am just saddened by this action.

On a side note how big of a bull moose did your group get?