Thread: 5=01 moose

Hybrid View

5=01 moose

Hi guys its been a while sense I hunted moose in 5-01 and looking for a little info.
    My brother in-law has draw a moose tag and asked me to come along . He has rented a cabin at Deka lake , so hoping to get any info in the area around deka or within a hour or so , Thanks in advance
    Trapman (Glen)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 5=01 moose

I just struck out in 5-1. Had two calling sessions that I think both ended with the moose going after a real cow instead of coming to me!?!? I didn't have moose scent for the first part of my hunt and I think that was a big loss.

Read SRUPPS post about moose scent (estrus) and scout out an area that is near cows, swamps etc. And then choose a good cut that you can watch from the treeline and still not get winded. Swirling/changing winds might have done me in too.

The scent works 24/7 and a bull that quietly works towards your calls might find the scent at nighttime and decide to stay close by - then you give your am calls and he gets up and comes running. Just sit tight and call every 15minutes all day and then repeat. Good scent placement and watching the wind is important. The quality of your cow call seems less so as I've heard many stories of moose coming in to all kinds of noises.

2 days away from striking out as well.. wish I read up on those moose scents. I would give you some areas but obviously mine all suck or I suck...or both...not sure.

Well i'm going to pick up some moos sent tomorrow for the trip , you have to try everything you can

Pm sent

Steven