Thread: Cheap Semi-Auto Review

Cheap Semi-Auto Review

A couple years ago, I was in the market for a semi auto. I had the funds for up to $2000, but had a very difficult time finding something that fit right (I have a 6'6" wing span). I narrowed it down to a shimmed up Benelli SBE2 or a shimmed up Browning Silver. Then one day I wandered into Canadian Tire for something, and of course took a browse of their guns, and this one really caught my eye. Sealed walnut, cerakoted aluminum 1 piece receiver, stainless bolt, and a ribbed, blued, chrome lined barrel... for $600. I asked to see the gun and took it apart at the counter and was very surprised to see the super simple entire gas system to be made of steel, double action bars, and a 1 piece steel bolt carrier, no plastic! After a while I decided to take the chance and buy it, since it fit and felt better then every other auto that I had test fit for weeks.

After a good initial cleaning, I broke it in as per instructions with 2 boxes of heavy 3" mags. Ever since, it has never had one hiccup and I have probably around 2000 rounds through it now. From the cheapest 2-3/4 target loads, to buckshot, it has never skipped a beat with any brand of load. This passed summer I ensured not to clean the gun through the target shooting events, and after 16 boxes I finally decided to clean it, which only required cleaning up the piston with G96, and cleaning off the carbon on the mag tube. Other then that, a quick oil of the trigger group and its good to go.

Just figured I would throw this out there as I do see lots of guys looking for a bargain, but can get screwed on some of the cheaper semi autos as far as quality goes. I don't think you'll be upset with this one. Comes with a 7 year warranty, last year I dropped the gun in the salt chuck during our real cold spell and cracked the forend. I told Tristar exactly that and 2 weeks later a new forend was on my door step, great customer service from their warranty center in Ontario.

http://www.tristararms.com/products/...per-g2-silver/

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showp...=34777&cat=500

Cheers,

Longshot jr.
    Last edited by longshot; 10-11-2017 at 10:28 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cheap Semi-Auto Review

Great write up, thanks!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Glad you are happy with it.

Thanks for posting. Never heard of them before.

A lot better than the 3000 stoger, and I can say that by experience, those Tristar's are nice looking shotguns for the money.

It's all about the fit with shotguns - but knowing that it won't let you down when you need it is necessary to appreciate it. Thanks for the review.