Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time Moose Hunters. 2 Bulls down. Story and pics.

First Time Moose Hunters. 2 Bulls down. Story and pics.

I must start this post off by offering HUGE thanks to SRUPP for the tips, advise and encouragement. He gave us a solid foundation to start our first moose hunt with.

I've been coming up to visit my brother in WL area to hunt for the last 5 years, and this is the first year we've got a moose draw. 3 of us put in, so we drew 2 bulls. Unfortunately the 3rd guy couldn't come, so it was left to my brother and I to hunt. After some scouting online and a phone call to SRUPP, we knew where we had to start.

We went out at first light on the first morning to scout a couple meadows and hang some scents. We parked the truck and went our separate ways, each to check out different spots. 30 minutes later, and I wasn't even at my spot yet, when I heard my brother's shot.
    He had literally walked out into the meadow, called once, and a bull came out at 50 yards. He dropped him where he stood, and we had one moose down. Not a monster, but at least a bull about 700 pounds we guessed. We were able to get the quad to it and packed it out in 2 trips.

I spent the next 7 days sitting patiently, calling, and waiting, with no luck. We tried a few different spots, but none of them produced. We saw some beautiful country, but was beginning to get tired and frustrated.

So that evening I went out to a familiar spot where I had been lucky with deer, and that I knew well. I hung some scents in the evening where I would hopefully draw them out of 2 separate areas towards me and came back in the morning. I spotted a Cow Moose first thing, and she wandered off into the timber. Looking at her tracks in the road, I could tell she was alone. I called for 2.5 hours after that before I heard my first reply. I answered. It was close. Then a stick break, and another grunt in my direction. I could only see one antler and part of a nose at 60 yards, but he winded me and ran the other way before I could get a shot. So close, but I was pretty excited that I'd called one in finally.

His tracks as he left...

I regrouped and headed back the next morning with high hopes. I parked the quad 1KM back, and snuck into the spot. I made my first call of the morning and settled in to my chair.. 5 minutes later I spotted him coming towards me at 275 yards. He was the same bull as the day before. At 175 yards he stopped behind a tree, which gave me time to compose myself and get ready. He grunted once, I answered, and he walked into the clearing. I put one shot through the left shoulder, also hitting both lungs. He went 50 feet and crumpled on the lower quad trail. It was a LONG 9 days for me, but it ended well with an amazing animal, and a lifetime of memories.
    Thanks again to SRUPP, who was really instrumental in helping us succeed. I met with him the next day to chat about the hunt and to drop off some salmon and a few pieces of backstrap. I wish I could have stayed longer!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Time Moose Hunters. 2 Bulls down. Story and pics.

Very nice, and great perseverance. Thanks for sharing.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Well done! Our group has one moose down so far. A missed opportunity on a second. Hoping to finish the job soon.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Thanks Karma...some of my ideas seem a bit goofy..but they do work..and you played it perfectly..that area has certain spots that are purely magic..plus the benefit of the rut...
    You certainly are persistent. .and d that's what counts..know what works..repeat untill successful..then work like a dog..once you pull the trigger..the fun is over..
    Being in the woods at daybreak as the woods come to life..calling..then to hear that first grunt reply..exciting..
    Thanks for stopping by..sorry I had to go to an important meeting..
    You my friend. .are a moose hunter..Congradulations. ..
    Cheers
    Srupp

Congrats!
    The 9 days you'll never forget.
    Great photos especially the first with that colourful background.
    Some mighty fine eating coming up.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Congratulations!! Well done! Love the photos.

Congrats! Nice bulls.

Congrats on your first two moose.

Thanks for the story and awesome pics guys!

Well Done guys, Srupp has helped so many people and probably not even knowing it.
    I hope one day to meet the man myself!