Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling Moose

Re: Calling Moose

Quote Originally Posted by bc traper View Post
    Thanks You are giving us some hope
    Now is prime time.

we came down from region 7 yesterday and seems like they would come in to a fart.
    we saw more moose this trip than I have seen put together In b.c since 1995.
    we got two leh bulls and a youth calf.
    party of 6.
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkes3 View Post
    we came down from region 7 yesterday and seems like they would come in to a fart.
    we saw more moose this trip than I have seen put together In b.c since 1995.
    we got two leh bulls and a youth calf.
    party of 6.
    Congradulations. Well done, fun, tasty..
    Steven

We had a shared draw a couple years ago for November, called in 2 bulls at once November 1, hunt over after first morning.

thanks myself and my two sons each tagged our first b.c moose
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    In conjunction with buck expert soaked tampons..
    Srupp
    what is this soaked tampon business? I read another post recently about such antics.
    Who knows, maybe it would have helped our unsuccessful hunt in 5-1. We did our part to keep game numbers up in the area.
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

Hmm used horse in heat urine..some labeled as actual moose urine? Hmmmm Betty used this and passed this strategy on..we used torn up pillow case strip. .i changed to tampons..as they are light, inexpensive, soak up lots of urine and come with own tie up string.
    Why the urine ? Moose find each other by cows calling..and peeing which has hormone levels that change as she gets near peak receptive time, bulls have a : organ in the roof of their mouths..they literally taste the air for receptive cows...
    Hang the tampons high in the open..so winds carry the scent..and Thermal take the scent up and down in elevation..i chose trees branches that tent the scent dispenser from rain snow.
    The urine will attract bulls moving during the rut..holding them in the area..works while your sleeping eating..24..7
    It's part of a strategy. .
    Cow calls...with the added stimulus of the scent stimulus truly befudfles these love crazed behemoths..
    In these northern tree covered areas..they only have 3 senses to find a lovely lady..listen for her call..it's the females that initiate these encounters..then the peeing...hey big boy I'm ready..no questions asked.the site stimulus is very short ranged location stimulus.
    Here in region 5 in past 3 years..know of 25 bulls shot within 50 yards of these scent tampons .
    This year one at 40 yards from scent..the other 70? Yards..
    If a bull hears you call..doesn't have to be great call..more of location..here I am..then gets the added stimulus of fermone" estrus" pee he is even more convinced .
    Covers your scent as well..been working as cover scent for decades...

Once placed I never go back to check. .don't want my human scent in there..i locate 100...150 yards..to call..
    I don't use montana decoy because too many anxious overzealous hunters throw lead and sort out the mess later..

Moose eyes are 10 inches apart..ears are 11 inches..so 31..33 inches ear tip to ear tip plus satelight" dish rreceivers. .aka horns amplify your calls..highly effective location devices..PLUS a nose the size of a loaf of bread....all the better to smell you my deer...
    Use everything you can....
    Cheers
    Steven

I'd say not prime time for calling. The cows will be out of there first heat and will be coming back into another late October if they weren't serviced start of October. But the bulls would likely still be interested if you threw a call out on a cool frosty morning. Call away! Can't hurt

good info srupp
    method must use up a lot of liquid though
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    good info srupp
    method must use up a lot of liquid though
    Thanks..actually you have to really concentrate on using lots..1 bottle will easily do 18 " applicator dispensor"....bottles vary but $25 seems average.and use it all up..once oxidized by the air it does go sour..new bottle every season .bottles we got at Canadian Tire...roughly a tin of pops volume?
    Srupp