Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling Moose

Calling Moose

Hi Wondering if it is to late to call a moose out? Is the rut over? We have been calling Had one bull come in but never grunted at all and ran off before it would come into the open. We had cows answering our first cow call but would not respond after that.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Calling Moose

I called in a bull on Sunday (zone 5) but he winded me and took off before I could get a shot. Monday morning I called him in again, and was able to drop the hammer on him. Don't give up! I'm a first-timer, but have been told that they will come to calls until the 20th...

We called all last week and were able to harvest two bulls. One at 75 yards other at 25. I still think it was luck as I don't have the best cow call haha

The bulls are still in rut call away!

Keep calling..they are still in the rut and will respond..still prime..

In conjunction with buck expert soaked tampons..

Some bulls are leary..they call once or 2x..then go silent..i believe with all the wolf action..they don't want to advertise moose buffet in isle number 5...
    The bull did come in..so no problem with the issue of calling..and the rut being on...
    I suspect a errant swirling wind blew you out..
    Also when calling titration of the volume level..to match the approach of the bull. ...important that when he calls..you answer..
    Also before you get a reply..call every 15 minutes..stay put for the day. .give him..them..a specific location to head for..to..
    Hope this helps a bit...
    Cheers
    Srupp

Ps...call from open meadows..cut blocks..along ROUND lakes..places where your voice will travel longest distance..not in deep forest..that chokes off your distance..call as loud as you can..then listen as hard as you can..
    Srupp

Thanks The wind has been bad almost every day Will keep trying

Hmmm JUST got a email from another successful hunter called a pretty big bull out at last light tonight..photo is of pretty damn decent bull..hunter said he was horse from calling..lol that's why you pack Halls cough drops..
    Congrads Charles..

Yes strong wind chokes down your call, limits distance. .and your ability to hear replies and incoming loaded..
    Srupp

We have a group LEH for an area with only 5 authorizations, and I just so happen to know someone in both of the other groups. I talked to one guy tonight and they were able to call in a bull a few days ago.
    I also recall a story from about 8 years ago or so, some logging was going on nearby in a moose rich area. I heard the machines (processors or bunchers) working from a distance and noted that they sounded a bit like a calling cow. Then I heard from someone who had talked to one of the operators of one of the machines. The guy had been busy knocking down trees, and then he turned his machine around to find not one, but three bulls standing within 50 or so yards away, looking around for this really horny cow they had heard.
    So I tend to think that if you even sound remotely close to a cow, you have a chance of calling in a bull if he can hear you.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Thanks You are giving us some hope