Thread: 3-17 LEH Doe help, new-ish hunter!

3-17 LEH Doe help, new-ish hunter!

Hey guys,

I am fairly new to hunting and got a doe draw in 3-17 (been out a bunch exploring new area's, but have yet to shoot anything, or see anything besides grouse get taken down). I put the draw in with my dad, who got the management unit mixed up when we sent them in (we wanted 3-19). Anyways, we got the draw for 3-17, but we have no idea where to start. I am not looking for secret spots of course, but just a general idea where to start, as we're also concerned with the fires that were in this area earlier in the year.

I only have 2 or 3 days to hunt this year, and we will be doing a lot of driving, with a bit of hiking depending where we find ourselves, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3-17 LEH Doe help, new-ish hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick911 View Post
    Hey guys,

I am fairly new to hunting and got a doe draw in 3-17 (been out a bunch exploring new area's, but have yet to shoot anything, or see anything besides grouse get taken down). I put the draw in with my dad, who got the management unit mixed up when we sent them in (we wanted 3-19). Anyways, we got the draw for 3-17, but we have no idea where to start. I am not looking for secret spots of course, but just a general idea where to start, as we're also concerned with the fires that were in this area earlier in the year.

I only have 2 or 3 days to hunt this year, and we will be doing a lot of driving, with a bit of hiking depending where we find ourselves, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Given the year we have had in this area, and the fires.. you may be in for a tougher than usual draw... not to mention alot of the deer have pushed down onto private property and farmers fields where you won't be getting permission to shoot them..

best of luck! if you see any wolves, feel free to tag out on those

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Given the year we have had in this area, and the fires.. you may be in for a tougher than usual draw... not to mention alot of the deer have pushed down onto private property and farmers fields where you won't be getting permission to shoot them..

best of luck! if you see any wolves, feel free to tag out on those
    That's what I was afraid of, but I was hoping the whole region wasn't destroyed and someone would have a vague area to try out. Thanks for the reply though!

Should be able to go in blue earth lake way. Also Cornwall hills would be a great spot. It's an old burn south of cache creek off Hwy #1. 3-17 is a huge area, pick a spot off your back roads book and go. The only place that will be burned out is right around cache creek and the dump

Hunt from blue earth lake south. Should be able to find deer. I've been sheep hunting multiple times this season and spotted deer. It should only get better as the weather starts to cool
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Perfect, thanks for all the help. Hopefully I can bag one this year!

no deer at blue earth.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

You would have had trouble getting LEH deer in 3-19 as I got it. Best of luck in 3-17 sorry I can't help.

I have the same draw,
    Magnums dont kill deer,,,, bullets do (Stick with a rifle. Let cupid shoot the arrows lol.)

hunt along the fraser , deer head that way for the winter,