Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still hunting for whitetails?

Re: Still hunting for whitetails?

I've shot most of my archery whities from a tree stand. But the whitetail deer in my avatar was shot while still hunting on a cold wet November morning with my muzzleloader . I would do a combination of light rattling and grunt calling. Wait 1/2 hour then slowly work my way another 100 yards or so and repeat. This buck actually came trotting into the call from behind me. The area was fairly open timber above the Kootenay river. Great visibility and a good breeze and not allot of hunting pressure in this spot made it ideal for this type of hunt.

Sometimes trying something different pays off
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-11-2017 at 09:15 AM.

I think I need to clarify me definition of a truly mature WT.
    I mean an elite heart stopper.....a buck that the most seasoned hunters would shake their head over.

Nemesis number two

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    I think I need to clarify me definition of a truly mature WT.
    I mean an elite heart stopper.....a buck that the most seasoned hunters would shake their head over.

Nemesis number two

Hey Ourea. Your whitetail thread is what inspired to me to start this thread. Coming from the Island I can't commit to getting a monster whitey. I'm just looking for some of that tasty whitetail to put in the freezer and I love still hunting...

I harvested a nice WT a few years ago WHILE walking into my blind. There was about 70-80 yards distance and I just happened to spot him through an opening through the trees. He was looking right at me, but was not yet spooked. I think he saw me the same time I saw him, but he likely heard me coming first. With all the tree cover, I don't think he knew what I was yet. That gave me the opportunity to get my gun off my shoulder, take a knee, and drill a perfect double lung shot.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Forgot to mention that I was still hunting in the same location, maybe the same year, when I saw a young spike fork in an old meadow/orchard as I was approaching from an old upper road. I had no intention of killing him. He had no idea I was there. I pulled out the doe can and tipped it over a number of times. He came to about 15 yards before he scented me.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
    I harvested a nice WT a few years ago WHILE walking into my blind. There was about 70-80 yards distance and I just happened to spot him through an opening through the trees. He was looking right at me, but was not yet spooked. I think he saw me the same time I saw him, but he likely heard me coming first. With all the tree cover, I don't think he knew what I was yet. That gave me the opportunity to get my gun off my shoulder, take a knee, and drill a perfect double lung shot.
    Awesome!!

I guess I don't hunt like most (and in no way am I saying I hunt better). just different
    I will never see a buck on the hike in or out because my travels are well before and after light to/from my spots when I decide to pack a gun.

Watching two or three decent bucks pass by during a day in the blind is not uncommon.
    It's those elite guys, damn they are hard to pin down.

My only encounters of truly huge WT have been during the last or first minutes of legal shooting light.

I know hunting contacts that have killed some bruisers in the middle of the day, albeit in different areas where the hunting dynamics, WT density, timber patterns, access are completely different.

WT are simply an interesting puzzle
    And, their numbers and opportunity are not going anywhere.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Thumbs up Re: Still hunting for whitetails?

No doubt still hunting can be effective for WT.
    Depending on the type of country and pressure your odds go way down on mature bucks with this approach IMO
    Have to strongly agree on that one!
    I have hunted whitetails since I was in my early teens - Saskatchewan, Alberta, and yeah, even BC.
    Guided both Sask and Alberta for many years for them as well.

I have taken quite a handful when still hunting. Some even with my bow.
    None ever surpassed the 160" mark.
    In all those years, I only know of two that were over 180" that were taken by still hunters.

Stand hunting, if you are looking for a "Good" Buck, produces.
    It was, and is the mainstay of whitetail hunting.
    I have lost count of the number of book and / or close heads our crew & families took from stands & blinds over the years.

A couple examples From The Stand..

Closer Boo:

Another:

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by avadad View Post
    Hey Ourea. Your whitetail thread is what inspired to me to start this thread. Coming from the Island I can't commit to getting a monster whitey. I'm just looking for some of that tasty whitetail to put in the freezer and I love still hunting...
    Nice to hear that the Big Whities thread has helped inspire some, that was my intent.
    The negative BS that was being fanned about this species was burning me. WT represent some of the best hunting opportunities in this province yet some were calling them rats. Best eating rats if you ask me.

Agree 100% that rattling/calling is/can be highly effective.
    The challenge I have is the timber I found my Big Whities in is so damn thick that the times I called or rattled in bucks I simply couldnt find a bullet lane. Bucks would eventually spook.

I am a firm believer, when hunting the old wise ones of any species, is to be a low impact hunter when engaging the land of a giant. I am sure others may disagree but I am always fearful to blow out a monster buck after spending years nailing him down. They are so survival driven.

Nice 150 type bucks are mostly an easy mark.
    The next level of bucks give me fits.

A nemesis of mine. God damn ghost.

Yup if your hunting where the big WT hide often the bush makes it tough to get a shot. Been almost trampled by a WT rattling because we could not see each other till it was only feet away lol. Shots are often really close range

Like usual I agree with what your saying with WT. We may vary a little on our tactics but principles are the same. Only exception is if I am lacking time I run some high pressure tactics hence the calling still hunt combo. Best in areas I may only get a few days to hunt where I did not get the chance to scout

Nice to hear that the Big Whities thread has helped inspire some, that was my intent.
    The negative BS that was being fanned about this species was burning me. WT represent some of the best hunting opportunities in this province yet some were calling them rats. Best eating rats if you ask me.
    I grew up hunting whitey's back east. I couldn't sit in a stand back then either. I guess whitetails are the easy scapegoat for declining mule deer numbers. As I understand it whitetails are actually the foundation species of deer in North America. They are a fine animal in my mind...