Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still hunting for whitetails?

Re: Still hunting for whitetails?

Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post
    Majority of WT's are taken from the mobile gasoline powered blind with built in heater and glass windows I would suspect, at least in my area of operations.
    Far from a WT expert here more a newb but I've logged quite a distance walking slowly and quietly in some epic white tail areas and logged quite a few hours sitting and watching but to be honest the mobile heated 4x4 blind is how I've connected on the two I've taken I've had some fleeting chances at a white flag on foot but not good enough to pull the trigger yet...
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

All depends on your personal skill level a really good still hunter can hammer WT

First deer I ever killed was a Whitetail that me and my uncle in law got while we were still hunting. Its the first and only Whitetail I have ever harvested. But if you can still hunt Blacktails in thick south island bush then I see no reason why you couldn't still hunt Whitetails wherever they live.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    NOPE... I would say the majority are taken without using a blind or tree stand..
    This in my personal experience is the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    First deer I ever killed was a Whitetail that me and my uncle in law got while we were still hunting. Its the first and only Whitetail I have ever harvested. But if you can still hunt Blacktails in thick south island bush then I see no reason why you couldn't still hunt Whitetails wherever they live.
    Blacktail are easier to still hunt

Yes. Recently two of us stalked out 3 WT deer. On foot. Quiet moves. WT stopped turned and walked right toward us. Walked within 10M. A doe. I purposely moved my foot to crack a twing and bam, gone like a rocket.
    I will load up my 12 ga with OO shot. He will have a rifle. Close or far, we'll hammer one. Any WT doe up here as of yesterday. Nighty night.

Quote Originally Posted by behemoth View Post
    Me and my buddies have shot lots of whiteys , bucks and does. None of us has ever used a blind or a tree stand. You've gotta be quick on the draw when you get on them but its very doable. Good luck!
    same for me..i have shot maybe 2 deer while posted up waiting for first light...most have been in that time after first light to 930/10 when I am going from where I think they may "come by" to where I think they were "going to" bed...wind direction and a bit of cover noise (wind) with slow super-stealth walking is what I do

No doubt still hunting can be effective for WT.
    Depending on the type of country and pressure your odds go way down on mature bucks with this approach IMO

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    No doubt still hunting can be effective for WT.
    Depending on the type of country and pressure your odds go way down on mature bucks with this approach IMO
    Durring the rut still hunting combined with calling is deadly for mature and this is coming from a huge supporter of tree stands

but conditions need to be right

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Durring the rut still hunting combined with calling is deadly for mature and this is coming from a huge supporter of tree stands

but conditions need to be right
    Agree 100% that rattling/calling is/can be highly effective.
    The challenge I have is the timber I found my Big Whities in is so damn thick that the times I called or rattled in bucks I simply couldnt find a bullet lane. Bucks would eventually spook.

I am a firm believer, when hunting the old wise ones of any species, is to be a low impact hunter when engaging the land of a giant. I am sure others may disagree but I am always fearful to blow out a monster buck after spending years nailing him down. They are so survival driven.

Nice 150 type bucks are mostly an easy mark.
    The next level of bucks give me fits.

A nemesis of mine. God damn ghost.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea