Thread: West jet with firearm.

West jet with firearm.

Hey I am travelling on West Jet to PG this week and want to know what kind of hard case do we need to have. I have a Flambeau one thats a hard lockable case. Not top of the line but is lockable with piano hinge and such. Will this be allowed or does it have to have some sort of Airline approved stamp or sticker?

Thanks all.

Oh travelling from Vancouver
    I didnt even know I knew how to ninja roll...but its my new move in a pinch....

but if anyone could point me in the right direction for dirty hookers, it would be much appreciated. And possibly a lawyer

2. Site Sponsor

Cool Re: West jet with firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    ... I have a Flambeau one thats a hard lockable case.
    As long as it is a hardshell & lockable you are good to go unless something dramatically changed since last fall.

Have a Fun Hunt!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: West jet with firearm.

You might start by looking at West Jets website and finding their current requirements. They used to want ammo in seperate luggage, rifle trigger locked, hard case locked securely. with one or more locks.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Used the same case myself on Westjet with no issues. As mentioned...check their website for details and be sure to check in a bit earlier than normal because you will have to take your rifle through oversized security screening before you go through security yourself. Have the keys handy...they may ask you to open the case as part of the screening process.

Last time(2016) I took a rifle on WestJet I used a Flambeau case, the flimsy semi-hard ones, with a very small luggage lock placed near the handle. Anyone could have easily opened the case at either end and slide the rifle out but it was locked and that's all the check-in person needed. I think it all depends on who's behind the counter at the time.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...ishing-hunting

Firearms and ammunition
    • While WestJet accepts firearms for scheduled flights within Canada and to/from the United States, regulations differ for some of our international destinations.
    • Although some guidance is provided below for firearm and ammunition restrictions and embargos to/from some of our international destinations, this information may change or new restrictions/embargos may be introduced. Please be sure to contact the country of your destination for the most up to date information.
    • You are responsible for ensuring that all necessary permissions, documentation and other requirements have been obtained or satisfied before travelling. WestJet accepts no liability in the event that your weapon is denied entry or is confiscated upon entry. Please contact your destination's consulate for further information.
    • Firearms are restricted on flights to or from:
      • Bermuda (BDA)
      • Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago (POS)

• Each firearm item will be considered a piece of your checked baggage allowance.
    • All applicable checked baggage fees will be charged.

Firearms acceptance criteria

• Firearms are permitted ONLY in checked baggage, and ONLY if the firearm is:
      • Unloaded (declaration must be signed);
      • Packaged in a locked, heavy-duty container or hard-sided (opaque) gun case;
      • Restricted firearms must be locked with either a cable lock or trigger lock;
      • Non-restricted firearms such as hunting rifles and shotguns do not require a cable or trigger lock.

• WestJet will accept the following types of firearms:
      • Shotguns
      • Handguns
      • BB guns
      • Starter pistols
      • Rifles
      • Air pistols
      • Paintball guns (Please note: carbon dioxide cartridges/tanks for paintball guns will only be accepted if empty, with the valve secured in the open position. Please see restricted items for more details.)

• Ammunition must be:
      • Securely packaged and packed separately from the firearm, however it is permitted to be transported within the same container.
      • Carried in sturdy baggage not weighing more than 5 kg (11 lb.) gross weight per person (excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles)
      • Packaged in the manufacturer's original container or an equivalent sturdy, durable container that provides sufficient cartridge separation

• Tasers and stun guns
      • Tasers and stun guns are prohibited for transpo

Flew with westjet last month. 2 rifles in a hard case, they never even looked at them. All ammo has to be in a factory box INCLUDING any empties you bring back. As long as your case is lockable and ammo is separate. Trigger lock too

Great info guys thanks!!
    I didnt even know I knew how to ninja roll...but its my new move in a pinch....

but if anyone could point me in the right direction for dirty hookers, it would be much appreciated. And possibly a lawyer

Air Canada will charge an extra $60 a flight for a firearm vs. Westjet. FYI