Thread: Delorme inReach SE/Explorer info

Delorme inReach SE/Explorer info

Hoping someone can help me out with some questions on these devices. I have been looking around but don't see this stuff mentioned.

Will they still function as a GPS without a subscription (or with the subscription "suspended" for $4.95/mo)?

Will an inReach SE function as a GPS using the Earthmate app on a cell phone, or do you need the Explorer for this? (My understanding is both are capable of sending the GPS coords to the cell phone so both will work, but the Explorer allows for mapping, waypoints etc from the unit itself without a cell phone where the SE wouldn't. Looking to confirm this)

Can third party maps such as BC Backroads Mapbooks be loaded into the Earthmate app?

Has anyone used these for communicating with hunting partners and how did it work? I've read there can be 2-20 minute delays in transmitting, if 40 minute roundtrip messages are common place I'll bring radios, if things are usually pretty quick I may not.

With the subscription plans you are charged per "Track". The device gives you an interval for logging and sending tracks. Say you set it to log your tracks every 5 minutes but send them every 24 hours. Will it just send just your current location every 12 hours or will it dump the whole track log every 12 hours? If it dumps the whole track log are you then charged for just once "track", or for every track logged in that 12 hour window? This feature isn't very important for my usage but trying to get an idea of how it would work.

I have read in other threads people are concerned about these not having replaceable batteries. I thought I would mention here that you can buy lightweight, inexpensive power packs that you can take along to recharge as needed which is not a whole lot different than swapping out AA's. I'm not sure but I would imagine you could run the unit from the power pack using the charging cord if the internal battery was to fail as well.

2. Site Sponsor

where the hell am i anyways this isnt where i left the truck

Re: Delorme inReach SE/Explorer info

No they dont work without a subscription, SE works with the app on your phone, just doesnt have the map on the face of the unit. Dont know about 3rd party maps, the app is pretty good. I've always gone unlimited plan so I dont know about the subscription charges. Usually pretty fast, like your phone but if you have intermittent service there can be a little delay. Battery lasts a long time, battery packs or a 70$ lightweight solar panel from crappy tire go a long ways but if you aren't using it much the battery will last a hunt or 2, no problem. Great units.
    Many a child journeys this high to be different. To get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. lt comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got it own ways.

Thanks for the info yukon john. It's a shame they lock out the GPS feature without an active subscription. You don't pay monthly for any other GPS and you've already paid for the hardware.

I really only use my explorer for messaging, I think the maps and GPS look cheap compared to my Garmin Rino so that's what I look at and use. Battery last a long time, they are great units and well worth the investment. I put it on hold for winter and spring, most of summer but come August I go unlimited so I can start getting out and scouting for the hunting season.

My plan is to pair the phone to the inReach and use the Earthmate map on a nice cell phone display, which AFAIK is going to be nicer than any GPS display. Apparently today's cell phones have pretty good GPS chips in them and are a decent alternative so I may give that a shot when the inReach is suspended. My Garmin 60csx has worked well for me but I'm thinking one less thing to carry, plus a much better display.

Last edited by ForealBoreal; 01-02-2022 at 01:21 PM.