Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant

Rant

So two times this weekend while hunting out in the pitt, I come across groups of people who have shot ducks and are unable to retrieve them. They see me walking with my dog and come up and asked me to send him out to get their bird. Of course I do each time reluctantly because I don't want to see the birds go to waste. But at what point are people going to start taking responsibility for what they shoot. Of course we'll doing this I'm giving them grief about their ethics and why would they shoot something they cannot retrieve. The first time I gave the group there bird. The second time I wasn't so nice I told them they were not able to retrieve it so I'm taking it finders keepers. They were not impressed. On a side note I remember being a young boy once and my grandfather sending me out swimming in the freezing cold because I shot a bird that he told me not too. This was a lesson learned.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rant

Tell them to get a canoe

Both groups had waders on and there is not much water this time of year but I agree...

report it...

Agree with ZacNap report. You need a boat or dog, if you wat to hunt the Pitt marsh.

Or over any water! A retrieval plan, and a fishing rod with hooks doesn't work well!!!
    It's frustrating when guys take long shots at anything they see and on the rare occasion they do sail one off they have no means to look for it or make a retrieve. I've walked out with my dog and sent her off only to have her pull the bird out of grass 5' from me! It's hard to find birds on land without a dog, sometimes even in a cut corn field!
    If any new hunters are out in a boat be sure to pick a spot where you shoot over a larger body of water so if the bird sails away for 100 meters or more you can still get to it before it gets into high grass or reeds. And don't delay going to get a swimming bird!
    Non-hunting public observe guys not retrieving birds and report it, this can play a part to hunting getting shut down in an area (complaints). Do your best to get a bird, have a good plan and do it!
    Buddi doing what she does best!

I was hunkered down on an island and watched you send your dog out there. Smart dog, that bird was way out there. That bird was sitting in the water all morning until your pup plucked it out around noon.

I few fellows that I spoke to mentioned those folks were new to the marsh. I wonder if they will be back?

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

There are newbies and there are old Hunters and everything in between.
    Most Hunters I met in my long hunting Career where helpful People and I learned from that. Hunting without access to a trained Dog is questionable ethical but a function of necessity for most in the hunting community so will it kill me if I help out, not likely but it will make me a better person.

Re; hunting Waterfowl without a Retriever is possible on small Lakes or ponds. The Wind will eventually push the Bird to shore.

Happy hunting and Thanks giving - K.

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

You're a good man to help them out with your dog, but it should have been obvious to even a new hunter that the area requires a boat, dog, or both.

It is incumbent on all of us to make sure we take opportunities to educate each other to make the community better and stronger.

thanks.. ya that's right where it was. my pup is a work in progress but learns fast.
    Last edited by fudge; 10-10-2017 at 10:44 AM.