Thread: untrained dogs expected to retrieve....

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

untrained dogs expected to retrieve....

I'm relating a personal story that my young son and I were involved in many years ago
    in an effort to try and reduce it's scenario from happening again.
    We were up above Tunkwa Lake slowly driving along the original old road, which at one point
    follows a small marshy creek, while grouse hunting. We noticed something with a dark tan
    coat slinking through the underbrush, stopping in the thickest middle of one near the road.
    It was a small Chesapeake dog with a collar. It was totally frightened, cowering down as we
    slowly came near while trying to talk quietly in a soothing encouraging tone. It took a long time
    and bribing with sandwiches to coax the little fellow out and into our car. My son did a fine job
    of calming that dog down, and as I knew the whole area well, took the dog to the Tunkwa Lake
    campsite looking for it's owner. Turned out that the owner was drunk, boisterous, and a real dick.
    He had bought the dog just before going bird hunting with it, gave it no training or preparation for
    gun fire, and when he shot over it at some ducks. The dog was so scared it ran away. According to
    his friends, the fellow yelled and screamed at it to come back and fetch the duck, which only frightened
    the poor dog further. In a fit of rage, he threatened to shoot the dog if he got the chance. All this
    I learned after handing the dog back to this owner. Had I known about it beforehand, he wouldn't
    have got it back. Please prepare your dog for hunting well before subjecting it to the task.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: untrained dogs expected to retrieve....

Good effort on your part Big Lew, attago. You did your part and can only hope some friends will help Ches down the road
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Unfortunately this probably happens a lot more that we would like to think it does. Buy a retrieving breed dog doesn't guaranty it's going to be a good retriever. Even with proper, responsible breeding still doesn't guaranty the dog you buy is going to be a good retriever and not properly gun conditioning a gun dog is just totally irresponsible. Good on you Big Lew, god only knows what you saved that dog from being out in the bush alone and frighten with it's owner not giving any concern to his dogs well being. A guy like that should be reported and his dog taken away and he should never have the ability to by another one.

Id hate to see how he treats his wife and kids
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr