Thread: 2017 opener

2017 opener

Not many ducks around our fields today but we managed 5 ducks and 8 geese.

We are also doing a "Traveling Decoy" where we shoot over a decoy and record information and send it off to another hunter and they do the same. We dedicate the decoy and include info for all to read as it moves along and everyone adds signatures and stories to the package. Eventually it will get mack here.
    This decoy will be going to Minnesota, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Florida among it's stops. I'm dedicating to my father Bill Otway who who introduced me to water fowling back in 1970 and I've been passionate about it since. He also introduced me to being active in conservation work and it's in his honour we continue to do it to this day.
    I'm also including Old Dan in my dedication. At the time I was getting back into serious waterfowling I was fortunate to hook up with him and we spent many enjoyable days in the marsh sharing old stories, drinking coffee, and eating sweet pickle sandwiches his wife would make us from her homemade canned sweet pickles. Those on this site who came out with us won't forget Old Dan, he was old school through and through and he lived to hunt waterfowl!

Buddi doing what she does best!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2017 opener

Nice start to the season guys. Was wondering about the decoy now I know, what a great idea. Will you be posting its progress.

Re: 2017 opener

It's called a traveling decoy. We shot over it for Heritage days and opening weekend. We'll mail it off to a hunter in Minnesota tomorrow.
    Basically it is dedicated by the guy who owns the decoy (me this time). I'm dedicating it to my father Bill Otway and my old hunting buddy Dan Klisch.
    Guys along the way tell about their hunts and experiences hunting over the decoy and add pictures of the hunts too. At the end it gets back to me and I'll put it back on my decoy shelf and keep a memory card with pictures of the hunts and info on the card. I'll also keep the paperwork and box with it. Everyone signs the decoy.
    Should be fun, we had good luck hunting over it the 3 days we had it out there!
    The decoy was one my dad had in his collection.
    Next year we will have everyone do the mailing of their own decoy at the same time so everyone has a decoy in route and you always mail to the same guy until it gets back to you.

Buddi doing what she does best!