Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disheartened

Disheartened

Can't seem to find the game. Hunting areas with good sign, I've tried calling, gassing, still hunting. After three years and a few worn out boots I can't seem to even find something let alone shoot it and fill the freezer. It's seems like every truck coming home has antlers mounted to the atv. I start to feel like the quad hunters are pushing game back further than I can hike. Unfortunately spending thousands on a quad is not an option for me. It seems like hunting is becoming more suited for the boys with all the toys.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Disheartened

sorry but boo hoo man! its hunting!! where are you hunting? where do you live? if you are finding good sign, stick with it! you will be successful eventually, just remember its not about killing animals. enjoy the scenery, fresh air and freedom. get a buddy who knows some things and learn off him/her.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

nothing further from the truth, what and where are you hunting ?,

I do ride my quad but hardly hunt from it, only bought to save on thrashing my truck, I drive it to where I used to drive my truck to and hunt from there.

If your seeing good fresh sign than your timing may be off or they are totally nocturnal in that area which I have seen in busy areas, keep at it and really watch your WIND, find that and lack of patience is what ales most new hunters.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 10-07-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

It's a growing trend, and known problem. The tides are going to swing pretty soon with more closures, and deactivation's, which will be welcomed in my opinion. That said, we all have our dry spells, and it's just a matter of time before the flood gates open for you. Keep at it!
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

I used to go with the bunch of people to Princeton and have a good time and have Thanksgiving dinner all in the bush with all the fixings I went for 13 years without even seeing a buck lots and lots of does moose and Elk but no buck. The last 4 years I've gotten a buck within the first hour of hunting the same area. Keep at it eventually you will get a buck

Quote Originally Posted by Gunpoint View Post
    Can't seem to find the game. Hunting areas with good sign, I've tried calling, gassing, still hunting.
    I would say less gas, more glass. And if you are seeing good (fresh) sign then just slow down!!

Slow down is the key can often take days to get a moose to move a few hundred yards

I never use my Rhino to hunt, pain in the ass to load it and haul it around in the trailer.
    I have good sucsess hunting thick bush for whites, most guys drive right by looking for a cut block. I sneak in and watch for a while, amazing how many critters are hiding 100 yards off the road. I never call , rattle or make any noise and they are right surprised when I shoot them. No fancy camo either, jeans and a quiet wool jacket. And an old fashioned 30.06 with a Bushnell 3x9. No range finders or spotting scopes , just me, my trusty rifle and 2 eyeballs.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

It's easy to stay at home.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Took me 3 years to get a buck posted a story on here when its ment to come together it will. Slow down, play the wind, and don't hunt where you dont see sign. It sounds stupid to keep hearing it but thats what works for alot of people out there.