Thread: Big whitetail

Big whitetail

So I bought a new house on 13 acres in the west kootenays. my land runs all the way back to a mountain with no road access. Figured it should be big buck central. I've had my cam set up at the back edge of an old hayfield baited with salt and piles of apples. Lots of cow elk, whitetail does and spike bucks. No pics of any shooters. Should I give up and focus my attention elsewhere or will the bigger bucks come down once the does go into estrus? I have other areas i have shot good bucks but I would love to take a cranker off my own land. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Big whitetail

Keep the bait and does around and the big boys will show. May be another month or so from now, but could be a day.

Keep at it...some stompers on private land along crecent/ slocan valley
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

I'm along the kootenay river, I know there's big bucks in my area just surprised to not have seen one on my cam, white tails sure are a mystery sometimes.

Wait a month, you could be golden!
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    I'm along the kootenay river, I know there's big bucks in my area just surprised to not have seen one on my cam, white tails sure are a mystery sometimes.
    Having been invested in WT in a big way for a while......
    One of the dynamics that intrigues me is how toads show up come mid Nov despite having cam'd the shit out of a given area all year.
    I am currently running 15+ cams just for WT.
    Always trying to nail down my targets.

One thing I have learned....hold/control the does ......ur odds go way up.

Allow any given location a minimum of 1 year to truly know the cycle, who the players are, when they show up.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Like others are saying if you have does come the rut new bucks show up. There is no promise you will see the quality of buck your looking for only time will tell. There is also a chance a big boy only passes through and does not stay. It's hunting so it's a bit of a gamble

13acers is not much so a lot can happen to these deer outside of your property

I do the cam thing but have never tried baiting. Myself I rely on calling with rattling and doe bleats instead

Just like any hunting location you need to make the call to ride it out or try elsewhere

It's all about the does man. I keep 6 baited stands pretty well all season just so the does keep coming in. It won't be long until there a buck on ones tail