Thread: pigeons!!

pigeons!!

Does anyone here keep pigeons or other game birds on hand for dog training? I am considering setting up to keep maybe 5-10 birds on hand for training my dog. If anyone has any tips on setting up a aviary/coup it would be much appreciated. I kinda have an idea to partially convert my plastic garden shed (section off an area) inside for them then build an area for them to go into outside the shed.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

2. Site Sponsor

Re: pigeons!!

Raising pigeons is pretty easy,,,,did it as a kid. They need a place to roost and nest if you plan on raising some. Your shed should work nicely. Your coup also needs an opening for them to be able to be released from and when closed has a one way opening for the birds to get back into so they can't get out again. You should use homers.

If you set it up I'd love to come out and work my dog out there with you if that would be possible. A lot of the time it's good to have two people working one dog at a time ie. the handler and the bird controller or shooter. I can't raise pigeons at my townhouse unfortunately. I do have a launcher which is almost a necessity. Just haven't gotten to use it yet.