Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Sums up my past several seasons

This Sums up my past several seasons

Plenty of hiking the alpine & sub-alpine of regions 8 & 3 for the last 3 seasons. I'm a newb at large game as of 2015 but have done some waterfowling way back in the '80s in Alberta. Bagged one Goldeneye last season up in the Monashees. Had some close encounters last couple years, but never 100% sure of a legal kill so didn't pull the trigger. Haven't been out as much as I'd like this season due to personal issues, but the times I have, fresh sign has been scarce.

However, as in past years, the domestic mulies mock me in my yard! Taken this morning, a doe & young one basking in the sunshine in the front yard.... I got within about 12 meters & didn't phase her. A little closer the ears perked & she got ready to move, but I backed off & they stayed put.

I purchased a new 250 Honda to aid in scouting. Covers roads a lot quicker & gets through washouts the Taco won't handle. With any luck, I'll have better luck this year!!

The Monashee Pass area, if this ain't mule deer country, I don't know what is... Whiteys too for that matter. Saw a few relatively fresh hoofprints, but scrambling around with the Honda likely spooked anything before I went for a hike.

Even tried my hand at bow hunting early on before the guns came out, no joy...

My lack of success is certainly not due to lack of effort.... but hey, in the end, it's my love of the outdoors & the mountains that keeps me at it. This is above Mabel Lake November 2015. That hunt ended up turning into a nice afternoon ski tour. I doubt anything was up that high any longer, only tracks I saw were wabbit. I have a few more photos, maybe put them into a subsequent post if there's interest.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: This Sums up my past several seasons

'smore from 2015 Mabel Lake

how 'bout a nice panorama to finish...

I think everyone on here loves photos! If you got more I'd certainly love to view them. In the latter photos it definitely looks like you're too high that late in the season. Good luck this year!

Good effort there fella. I was out Monashee pass way for the last day and a half....very little sign. Saw 1 half decent WT buck, but that it......need some more cool weather me thinks

Thanks for posting, the pictures are great. I would ditch the dirt bike for hunting unless you are only using to access area and going on foot. I have travelled over Monashees hundreds of times. Have you hunted the power lines on top? Recommend them and fresh cuts up near the alpine. Good luck and keep at it and you will be successful.
    Live to Hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajsawden View Post
    I think everyone on here loves photos! If you got more I'd certainly love to view them. In the latter photos it definitely looks like you're too high that late in the season. Good luck this year!
    Thx for the encouragement & yep I realized I was up too high on the Mabel Lake hunt, although I've done the same in the Monashee Pass area and found a lot of tracks in the snow there. For some reason I just kept driving until I almost topped out. Then decided to ski tour up a cut block. It was my first time in that area to hunt so it was more of a scouting effort I reckon. If there hadn't been active hauling on that road I would have been stopped much further down. I'll dig up more pics, might need to upload some to OneDrive cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by thepitchedlink View Post
    Good effort there fella. I was out Monashee pass way for the last day and a half....very little sign. Saw 1 half decent WT buck, but that it......need some more cool weather me thinks
    Thx for the input regarding what you saw up there recently. I saw a lot of bear scat, more than any sign of deer. Last season I heard wolves howling. Hope to be back up soon myself.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-05-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Thanks for posting, the pictures are great. I would ditch the dirt bike for hunting unless you are only using to access area and going on foot. I have travelled over Monashees hundreds of times. Have you hunted the power lines on top? Recommend them and fresh cuts up near the alpine. Good luck and keep at it and you will be successful.
    Yes, the bike is mainly for scouting & getting me a little deeper before I hoof it on foot. I had hoped to use it before hunting season but everything was closed due to the fire hazard.

Thx for the input on the power lines. Often considered them but haven't actually tried hunting along one yet. Something about them reminds me too much of civilization! But hey, forestry roads & cut blocks are man made too & if it will put some meat in the freezer...... There are several fresh cuts in the area I've hunted so I'll definitely give them additional scrutiny.

Hey...good stuff there....
    If anything, you certainly look like your having fun out there....and lots of it...

Keep at it! You will get one. Thanks for sharing your photos.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.