Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Staying Warm Over Night (without a camp fire)

Re: Staying Warm Over Night (without a camp fire)

Big Agnes down sleeping bag with self inflating mattress is my savior. It is good up to -12*C. I fold down back seats in my 4Runner and sleep like a king. No hot water bottles or extra layers are needed.

A good quality sleeping bag, and NOT a bunch of clothes. I hate sleeping all layered up. Underwear and a t-shirt. The sleeping bag gets warmer faster, and then sleep the night away.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I find it interesting that a lot of people are concerned over the smell of camp fire on their hunting clothes. I don't as my theory is most of the deer I hunt are in big BURNED cut blocks that smell like fire....I have had many deer come withing meters of me and just walk on by. White Tail, different story at least for me.

As others have said, the key is to get out of your clothing at night. The moisture from perspiration will keep you damp and cold that night and the next day.

I built a platform in the back of my 4Runner that created a elevated flat surface that got above the rear tire wells. Threw a camp mattress on it (with 2 sleeping bags) and my gear under it, rigged up a "privacy" curtain around the inside rear compartment and magnetic screen over the front windows to keep bugs out if I needed to vent.

If it would have been colder, might have used the tea candles in a coffee can to heat up the vehicle or used a few heat packs. OH, love the foor warmer heat packs while outside -- if your feet are warm . . . so is the reast of you.
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cons...em-012914.html

As it was, we stayed cozy down to -1 inside. And just turned the engine on in the am to heat up.

I'd rig a hanging line in the front seat to "dry" out the clothing over night.

-VFX

As far as your concern goes regarding smoke, it's a non-issue. Cold in your case though, is a result of making bad choices. Sleeping in a vehicle is definitely colder than sleeping outside in the same weather. Take a Siltarp and a ground sheet, and your set. The other factor affecting you is the beer. Any alcoholic beverages will actually lower your body temperature. Here's a link. http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...ohol-warms-up/

Good sleeping pad (not air mattress); good bag; merino wool undies (I noticed an improvement, anyway); toque for balding head (makes a huge diff and better than the ball cap); nalgene bottles filled with hot water and slid into your dirty stinky moist socks (they'll be dry and good to go in the morning and the water from the stream is boiled, safe, and cooled down for drinking that day); lots of food (fuel the machine).

I'm good to -15 under a tarp that way, so you should be great in a truck.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Our sleeping bags are pretty lousy. They say they are rated to -20C but I think that just means you might not die in optimal circumstances. Not ready to fork out a bunch of money on new sleeping bags so we just make sure we have a spare set of dry clothes and lots of extra blankets. Being in Region 2, we only see a few 10-20C trips every year. Sleeping in cars is a great. Less time spent setting up / tearing down or drying out tents especially for us weekend warriors pulling 2-4 night trips. This is how we roll for a lot of the spring and fall.

Sadly the top on this jeep is hosed so I was out of comission last weekend. Got the new top yesterday, but I think installing it in the cooler weather is going to be very difficult. I will try tomorrow but failing that I need to look for a heated garage we might miss another weekend.

Get down to your underwear/naked in your bag, and if you have to take a piss/#2 over night- do it!
    Your body heats your waste and holding it in just saps energy that could be going towards keeping you warm.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Get down to your underwear/naked in your bag, and if you have to take a piss/#2 over night- do it!
    Your body heats your waste and holding it in just saps energy that could be going towards keeping you warm.
    Pro tip.

If you have to pee in the middle of the night, Pee in a jug and throw it in the bottom of your sleeping bag to warm your feet up!

Pro tip - ask a bear to be big-spoon, for a change