Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Staying Warm Over Night (without a camp fire)

Re: Staying Warm Over Night (without a camp fire)

Hot soup, many layers, woolen underwear.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

yeah until they steal all the covers.

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    Bring some ladies

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    Hot soup, many layers, woolen underwear.
    Hot soup and hot coffee

Don't bring potato and cheese dehydrated meals that you grabbed instead of egg and cheese, then added too little water too thinking it was eggs.

Dry pasty potatoes don't keep you warm

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I don't think there is much a human can do to avoid getting winded no matter what they change regarding scent profile. There have been studies which demonstrated even the best scent control methods (ozone I think) only bought the hunter an extra couple of seconds before the dog busted him. Wind / thermals are everything and not dropping scent between feeding and bedding spots is best practice.

For staying warm, it all comes down to a good sleeping bag. I sleep in the jeep with a soft top and have done so below -20. I have a crappy sleeping bag, so I supplement with extra blankets. I keep my beer in my bag with me to prevent it from freezing and sometimes I'll bust out a hand warmer or too. Those late season nights (dark from 4pm until 8:30am) get a little long, so sometimes I load up a few movies on the tablet. I make tea and soup as well so I can keep sipping at something without getting carried away with the beer.
    Put you beer in a cooler with no ice it won't freeze, it doesn't need to be a big cooler, number on thing to staying warm with out a fire is a good sleeping bag.

Keep your belt on the outside of your jacket, then put a bottle (glass with aluminium screw cap) of real hot water down front in the nearest layer closest you can stand to your flesh.
    A warm belly keeps you warm.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

I just tilt the seat back and throw a sleeping bag over myself. If I actually get cold......I start the truck! After all, your sleeping in your vehicle.

Milwaukee m12 heated hoodie with the m18 usb adapter so you can use the 18v 5 amp/hr batteries all night.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Hunters have been sitting around fires since time began. Just light a campfire and sit around it. Practice scent control by noting wind direction.
    Yup.....and as others have said, layer up, and if you have a good sleeping bag you should be fine..I've slept in my -20 C bag in about -18 I think was the coldest, wasn't the most comfortable sleep but I wore my hunting clothes and a belleclava with a touque..helped a lot..

Scent control clothing, sprays, etc.. are all a sales scan, gimmicks to take hunters money. Research the studies, critters have incredible sense of smell. The only sure fire way to control scent is wind knowledge.

Have a fire, drink your beer, and eat some good food, then go out, and watch the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Put you beer in a cooler with no ice it won't freeze, it doesn't need to be a big cooler, number on thing to staying warm with out a fire is a good sleeping bag.
    I usually don't bring a cooler late season. If I do, its just a cheap soft one so any beer or water just goes in the sleeping bag by my feet.

Sleeping with a lot of layers of clothes as others mentioned helps too. I always make sure I have a dry set to sleep in.

Always think conduction. If any part of you is touching anything external it will just suck the heat right out of you.

Keeping my face warm has always been tricky. Often I will wake up with a numb face and put a blanket over it. The result is usually peeling a frozen blanket off my face first thing in the morning... crappy way to wake up. Ski mask or something that covers your face but has an opening for the mouth and nostrils is best.