Thread: Alpine mule deer advice Region 3 and 5

Question Alpine mule deer advice Region 3 and 5

Hey guys. This past weekend I went on an alpine mule deer hunt I was hunting at 2000-2100 metres in an area I have only been once before. My main question is how late in the season can your effectively find mule deer in the alpine.
    Last year I was able to see quite a few deer in mid-late October however this year October 1st I saw only old sign and no deer the only thing I saw was a wolf she came into about 30 yards before she ran off. I'll try and post the photo. I'm pretty confused about weather or not this is a timing issue and I'm waisting my time or if the deer are pushed out of the area by predators.
    I'd appreciate any advice as I really want to get a buck out of this area
    Cheers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alpine mule deer advice Region 3 and 5

Just wait for the first decent dump of snow, you'll find where they are (or not) pretty quick!
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Hunted region 3 alpine last weekend in blustery, windy and snowy conditions with short sunny breaks. I knew the area from previous years. Some snow on the ground makes it easier to track. Deer were not moving in heavy wind.
    We ended up checking little gullies and adjacent trees for deer bedding out of the wind. Sure enough found a fat 3pt bedded in the sun away from the wind uphill from a group of trees around 1900m elevation.
    Get up high, glass down drainages and gullies at the edge of trees. Look for willows early morning and evening. We saw a total of 5 does and 2 bucks in not ideal conditions.
    If you go up high, avoid skylining on ridges. They will spot you immediately.
    If you see fresh tracks in the snow, follow them! Stop often and look around. They are sometimes hiding in plain sight.
    And yes, I think, wolves will push out deer. A few years back I hunted an area that had lots of signs and deer early season. Went up first October weekend and saw nothing except a pack of wolves.

If one wolf came to see you which is rare...there are many more wolves in that area and them deer will fak off
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade

Thanks for the responses I'll definitely try and look more in protected areas for bedded bucks. And try to use snow to my advantage Do you think its worth going back this weekend if last weekend there were wolves or is it too soon to expect deer to have moved back in?

Here's a picture of the wolf I howled at it a few times as soon as it heard me it ran straight downwind as far as the terrain would allow but due to some cliffs it couldn't get behind me once it got downwind it made a B line straight up the ridge took these pictures through my Binos. Pretty cool animals it's a shame they're causing so many problems.

Last edited by GoOutside; 10-04-2017 at 06:26 PM.