Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPOT activation

Question SPOT activation

Hi all, bought a SPOT Gen 3 last year but did not activate it. Went to do it this past weekend and didn't realize the yearly fee was $200 and you cannot do a monthly without committing to a full year [which monthly payments ends up costing more].

Anyone have any discount codes? Thought it said if you were referred -- both of you get a discount.

I joked that I could carry it with me and if I went missing my wife could register me online . . .

I know it's "what is your life worth?" situation, but it sucks since I only need it 3 or 4 months out of the year.

Everyone happy with it and your service?

Thanks, VFX

2. Site Sponsor

Re: SPOT activation

Sent you a PM with a code, I got the whole year for $50. Not sure if its still valid anymore though.

Just let my contract lapse, and moving over to the Inreach due to service prices. Right now the older Delorme model can be found for $300, and I should get that back within 3 years.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

I let mine lapse earlier this year due to the price and in August they offered to me for $50.00 (US) for 6 mos. Worked for me so I signed up.

25% increase in fees plus a $15 dollar "access fee" for this year. Getting pricey. Might move over to an in-Reach...seems to be better value for the extra cash.

SPOT might price themselves out of the market...seems they are getting greedy?

Was with team Spot for a few years and eventually switched over to the InReach. Cancelled the Spot in due time before the end of the year (that I had already payed for) and was given a cancellation confirmation number over the phone. Sure enough, month later an email from Spot telling me that they unsuccessfully tried to charge my credit card on file to renew for the next term. I guess I had replaced my card since then, so that old card on file thankfully didn't work any longer.
    InReach has been great so far. Never had to use the "mayday"-button, but the texting feature alone is grande and using it all the time during bushwacking season.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemShady View Post
    Was with team Spot for a few years and eventually switched over to the InReach. Cancelled the Spot in due time before the end of the year (that I had already payed for) and was given a cancellation confirmation number over the phone. Sure enough, month later an email from Spot telling me that they unsuccessfully tried to charge my credit card on file to renew for the next term. I guess I had replaced my card since then, so that old card on file thankfully didn't work any longer.
    InReach has been great so far. Never had to use the "mayday"-button, but the texting feature alone is grande and using it all the time during bushwacking season.
    So is there any monthly or yearly fee for the InReach service?

thanks, VFX

I used Spot and hated it. If I needed another emergency beacon I would go Inreach.

Month to month, with the ability to suspend. Buddy told me it was about $3 a month when suspended, so well under a 100 if all you use it for is hunting season.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inr...es-us-only.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by VFX_man View Post
    So is there any monthly or yearly fee for the InReach service?

thanks, VFX
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Spot's are garbage