Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solo Hunting

Re: Solo Hunting

I like to go hunting with a partner, but this means share camp and go our own ways for the day. Then you get to be self reliant, and slurp booze with a buddy at days end.

I usually hunt moose, and foot access only. So a partner can be handy.

Mostly hunt solo mainly because I started hunting as an adult, very few friends that hunt, let alone time's we can go at the same time.

I mostly prefer it in the day, but on grueling hikes a partner can push you. Daytime is all fine and dandy but nights can be pretty boring.
    I wouldn't have much fun being alone in a tent in bad weather for a full day/night in the mountains either.

I hunted solo for years in Alberta. Maybe it was just me, but walking around in the bush alone felt strange. I enjoyed it, but sometimes worried about injuring myself and getting stuck somewhere. Decades ago, someone I really respect told me that it’s important to have memories that are truly just your own. Hunting solo will provide you with that.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by ducktoller View Post
    Mostly hunt solo mainly because I started hunting as an adult, very few friends that hunt, let alone time's we can go at the same time.

I mostly prefer it in the day, but on grueling hikes a partner can push you. Daytime is all fine and dandy but nights can be pretty boring.
    I wouldn't have much fun being alone in a tent in bad weather for a full day/night in the mountains either.
    Personally, I dont mind when the shit rolls in, got a great ultralight camp setup.
    A little pack chair under a tarp set just right.....tent beside.....fire....sleet coming down....cup of hot Glava.
    Heaven if you ask me.

I enjoy the solitude when camped back for MD solo.
    It's just you and your thoughts.
    We don't get enough of that these days.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I find as I get older I am hunting alone more often. I really enjoy the hunts with my son and we usually split up for morning and afternoon hunts and come back to camp for lunch and dinner. But as he gets older and his commitments expand to fill his life, he has less time for the old man ( so it should be). I really like the days out in the wilderness by myself, but find the campfire are a location for social activity and a campfire alone is ......well......lonely.

I like hunting with my buddies, especially if it is a long drive to the hunting ground, but I prefer to go solo. I work with people all day and it is nice to just get away and be alone with my thoughts. When I hunt alone I am also free from distractions and really in the moment. I need some alone time. It's good for the soul.

I've become a way better hunter going alone. More aware and more responsible when you don't have another guy there. Seems like my brain works better
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!