Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo Hunting

Re: Solo Hunting

The comfort from hunting with a partner is good for most.
    For serious/experienced guys, like ForestWalker10 said, being alone is best.
    You are way more in tune with your environment, no distractions, 100% focused.

In addition to being way more focused you quickly learn you are 100% accountable.
    With that understanding your gear becomes dialed......as do you.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    Virtually all my hunting is solo, Goats, Bear, Deer.... It's all about internal motivation and risk mitigation. Much different experience to go it alone.
    Hunted this way my entire life, although things are different now with all the mouths to feed, the risk mitigation is higher, but with multiple freezers empty, so is the internal motivation or some may call it desperation lols. Start small and work your way up.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Do it! My first solo sheep hunt was a real eye opener. I learned lots about mountain hunting, but mostly about myself...

However I had done some solo hunts for moose, deer and bear previously.
    Probably a good idea to get some experience before tackling the mountains. When I first did it around 1990 (my God, that's like 27 years ago...) there were
    no SPOTS etc. Today I would definitely carry one!

I just got back from a Solo hunt in the mountains where I harvested a Caribou. There are pros and cons to solo hunts such as, solo you have to carry more weight, not only gear that you and a partner could share like tent or stove or spotter but also when it comes time to drag out a kill. if you get in trouble there's no one there to help, lots of people including myself like to think I can bandage up any wounds and carry on, but reality being if I fall unconscious I'm f**ked. so I do try to take less risks when alone and I carry a Inreach. but on the positive side you always get to be the shooter no coin toss to see who gets to go first. You get to decide where your going and at your own pace. Theres no worrying about someone else because they were under prepared and didn't bring the right gear.

Some say you should practice your fire skills or shelter skills and map & compass if you want to go solo. I think anyone going out in the woods should be practicing these basic skills regardless how many people you go out with. If your partner is the only one who knows how to read a map and something happens to him your kinda screwed aren't you? which seems to be more common with people my age ( 30 ) and younger. If your not efficient in these skills, there are tons of youtube videos or even courses you can take. your life is worth it. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions

I like hunting solo because it's 100% my program. Wanna go look over there? Do it!
    Wanna slack off and eat a hot lunch? Have at er.
    Wanna wake up an extra hour early? What you need to do is wake up, an hour early.

However...I like sharing those moments with someone too. There is no bond like that with a good hunting partner, and it sure is nice to have someone to talk to on day 3. Plus, help packing out, and even packing in, is nice too.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Solo is the way to go.

As awesome as it is to share the experience with a good mate there is something special about doing it solo. No one to blame but yourself.

Good luck.

Well solo means less liabilitys..lots of guys can be a liability..i go with my dad Nd my son and some freinds..but 90percent of my hunting these days is solo.
    Hence most my pictures are of the animal and nobody in it..or a picture of the animal with me at home at the truck or in the truck..

I've done a handful of solo elk trips, two solo backpack goat hunts and a solo Griz Hunt(brought my dog with me on the griz hunt).

I really enjoy being in an isolated area and hunting by myself but like others have said, the companionship is also good at times, especially when you are having a hard go of it. And last year I had a surprise encounter with a Griz while crossing a creek in an avalanche slide while packing out from my goat spot. Wasn't a fun time to be alone
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-03-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I hunt a lot by myself, I enjoy the peacefulness of it, but yeh as others have said maybe go on a Cpl short weekend trips or overnighters to get your gear sorted out and your needs food wise for a day
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I like to go hunting with a partner, but this means share camp and go our own ways for the day. Then you get to be self reliant, and slurp booze with a buddy at days end.