Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo Hunting

Solo Hunting

What's it like? Haven't hunted solo but curious as to what the community thinks of it. I am potentially going on a Sheep/Goat hunt solo next year, and I am wondering if I should even attempt this if I am alone. What are some problems that you face solo that you don't have when your with a partner? Whats it like overall? Would anyone recommend it or is with a partner/group the only way to do it?

KK

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Solo Hunting

It's all in your head. Humans are social animals and being alone you have to be in the right mindset. After the first few trips alone it gets a lot easier. Others will probably say do a couple trips overnight on your own to give yourself and idea of what it takes and how you feel. Can't beat being out in the wilderness one way or another and being alone, you're only limited to your own capabilities.

Wouldn't recommend goat/sheep as your first solo hunt... maybe your second.

Virtually all my hunting is solo, Goats, Bear, Deer.... It's all about internal motivation and risk mitigation. Much different experience to go it alone.

The margin of error is a lot thinner when you are by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway View Post
    Wouldn't recommend goat/sheep as your first solo hunt... maybe your second.
    I agree....I do lots of my hunting solo, but it's usually for deer/black bear/moose in November..even elk in September I'm always wary with the calling in bears....if your going to do it solo for sheep or goat, I'd make sure your bushcraft skills are good, such as orienteering with a compass etc, and have you ever packed dead weight on your back?? Try a deer first if you haven't...

Why not do some solo day hunts and couple overnighters closer to home? You can work out your gear issues and figure out whether devoting serious time out there alone is something you want to do.

Over 30 years ago I hunted with someone. Hiked alone, but didn't hunt alone.
    I have always enjoyed going solo since, and have hunted for over 20 years that way unless one of my sons was with me.

Going it alone requires a ton of preparation, but, in my opinion is simply the best.

I would not, not do a hunt because no one wanted partner up for it - do it solo.

Took me a couple trips to get a feel for the bush at night by myself, at first a field mouse sounded like something crashing through the bush. I would do a couple solo overnighters as test runs to make sure you are comfortable with your gear

But after a couple days by myself hiking in the bush, I do find myself calling around to see if anybody even wants to do a road hunt.

I only hunt solo. No hunting friends help that but honestly, i dont want any. Being alone is the best.