Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squamish Elk

Re: Squamish Elk

I have a bugle and a hoochie mama. I've tried them a bit. Learned a lot about calling this week and looking forward to trying them some more.

I went up the valley yesterday and up into the mountains on the right past the first bridge - saw nothing but squirrels all day.

Hey jimmy
    My dad filled his tag but missed the herd bull at the elaho.

Find sign, sit, glass, hootchie mama
    World record non typical from Squamish last year
    This years, awaiting official dry time is said to beat last years, New record. Don't quit, good luck
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    Find sign, sit, glass, hootchie mama
    World record non typical from Squamish last year
    This years, awaiting official dry time is said to beat last years, New record. Don't quit, good luck
    The bulls you're referring to came from Indian Arm, not the Squamish River.
    There are some good ones out there but the combination of genetics and environment in the Indian Arm appear superior in terms of antler growth.
    Also, it only took a few years of LEH to educate the Squamish elk. Far fewer sightings from the road and they have spread out a lot into smaller herds this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    The bulls you're referring to came from Indian Arm, not the Squamish River.
    There are some good ones out there but the combination of genetics and environment in the Indian Arm appear superior in terms of antler growth.
    Also, it only took a few years of LEH to educate the Squamish elk. Far fewer sightings from the road and they have spread out a lot into smaller herds this year.
    I know where they where they were harvested, didn't want to mention exact location as draw requests will spike. Both Elk transplanted from island, genetic should be similar and terrain similar, typical rain forest. I hope Ashlu/Elaho produce some Crankers soon. Good information shared, get in the timber.
    Last edited by Blainer; 11-19-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    I know where they where they were harvested, didn't want to mention exact location as draw requests will spike. Both Elk transplanted from island, genetic should be similar and terrain similar, typical rain forest. I hope Ashlu/Elaho produce some Crankers soon. Good information shared, get in the timber.
    Applying your logic, your erroneous info could have influenced draws in the Squamish as well. This thread is about the Squamish LEH after all.

I certainly wouldn't discourage hunters from applying in the Squamish as I hope to be as lucky as my son was one day as well. There are plenty of good bulls out there; I was just being realistic about relative opportunity for an exceptional one.