Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Charged by a Grizz

Re: Charged by a Grizz

Hey Ryan. In light of the new policies that are developing for Grizzly bear, did you have any discussion with the CO about what would now happen with that bear? Did you stick around and assist the CO with an extraction?

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Hey Ryan. In light of the new policies that are developing for Grizzly bear, did you have any discussion with the CO about what would now happen with that bear? Did you stick around and assist the CO with an extraction?
    Also curious as to what happened with the cub or discussion about it.

very glad you are ok......I missed where this happened...was it on the bull river?

holy shit Ryan, im glad your ok and I am glad the CO though it was a good shoot.
    I think about that every time I call moose.... I guess you know you can act fast and correct under extreme pressure now hey?

holy smokess... I would shit my pants.
    Glad you made out ok and are here to talk about it. wow!

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Jim
    There was no recovery mission. The CO decided that the cub would be back with the sow, based on the fact it was acting so aggressive he said he would have to shoot if it came at us.
    Why was there no recovery? The CO’s are under funded and stretched thin, he was the only one on and had 5 other things to do, including looking for an injured boar grizz that was hit by a train and still alive.

He put a great deal of time debating his options and asked many questions about the cub’s size, age and behaviour. It was not a rehab candidate,so the options were to kill it or hope it learned enough from mom to give it a chance.This was a senior CO and I fully supported his thought process and decision.

In all likelihood another bear was on the carcass in short order.

If there is any debate to be had on this subject please do so in another thread.

Thanks,

Ryan
    Last edited by Rhyno; 10-05-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    very glad you are ok......I missed where this happened...was it on the bull river?
    In the spot I hunt elk, would you prefer UTM or Lat Long?
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Jim
    There was no recovery mission. The CO decided that the cub would be back with the sow, based on the fact it was acting so aggressive he said he would have to shoot if it came at us.
    Why was there no recovery? The CO’s are under funded and stretched thin, he was the only one on and had 5 other things to do, including looking for an injured boar grizz that was hit by a train and still alive.

He put a great deal of time debating his options and asked many questions about the cub’s size, age and behaviour. It was not a rehab candidate,so the options were to kill it or hope it learned enough from mom to give it a chance.This was a senior CO and I fully supported his thought process and decision.

In all likelihood another bear was on the carcass in short order.

If there is any debate to be had on this subject please do so in another thread.

Thanks,

Ryan
    Thanks. You've answered my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    In the spot I hunt elk, would you prefer UTM or Lat Long?
    I thought bull river might be general enough so as to not give away your elk spot...I have hunted there lots and had numerous problems with gbears there..one took a deer from our camp (meat pole was a little too far away) and we set up a trail camera at the new meat pole right next to camp ....we videoed it skulking around our meat pole every night after that...all the videos start with the bear coming onto camera then the dog barking, then one of us yelling at the dog to quiet down then my buddy firing off the camp shotgun and the bear running off camera....I was hoping to hear that the camp raiding ******* might be dead....

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I thought bull river might be general enough so as to not give away your elk spot...I have hunted there lots and had numerous problems with gbears there..one took a deer from our camp (meat pole was a little too far away) and we set up a trail camera at the new meat pole right next to camp ....we videoed it skulking around our meat pole every night after that...all the videos start with the bear coming onto camera then the dog barking, then one of us yelling at the dog to quiet down then my buddy firing off the camp shotgun and the bear running off camera....I was hoping to hear that the camp raiding ******* might be dead....
    That's the main reason to have a "Fall" LEH Grizz Tags....IMO.
    But then again, there isn't going to be a season in the near future at all.
    Imagine the "s*** show" then.
    Those bears definitely are going to need some "re-educating"....(you can fill in the rest)