Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Charged by a Grizz

Re: Charged by a Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Glad to hear you weren't mauled. 10 yards is really close. Did both of you hit that bear?
    I am 100% sure we both hit it but it dropped at my buddies shot. I didn't want to move it...wanted to leave the scene untouched for the CO.
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    A few mornings ago a friend and I were working in on a bull,we were getting close as he continued to reply to our bugles.We felt we were in a good position and about to get a look.My buddy taps me and says a cow is coming in from the opposite side of us.I look up to see 2 grizzlies at 35yards.I say “bear”, to which my bud doesn’t even flinch figuring it’s a black bear just moseying up the hill.Realizing he doesn’t understand the gravity of the situation I say “grizzly, grizzly, grizzly!”That got his attention!
    I instinctively put the gun to my shoulder, safety off just in case.The cub looked like it was going to head up hill and my buddy said don’t shoot.I wasn’t going to but was uneasy with the situation.In the blink on an eye the sow locked in on us and charged.At 11 yards she was still charging hard and showed no indication that this was a bluff.She passed what I considered to be too close and pulled the trigger and half a second later my buddy did the same and dropped her.
    We radioed another guy with us to head to cell range to call the CO and let us know what they wanted us to do.We flagged the brass and documented the scene with our phones.The CO interviewed us and assured us we did 100% the right thing and said we were lucky not to be hurt.
    Yesterday another EK hunter was mauled by a sow, sounds like a very similar situation to my own.
    Be careful out there, these things happen so fast you wouldn't believe it.

Well done. If more did like you these events wouldn't be happening so often.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say...number one thing is you and your bud are ok....and great shooting under a pressure situation....did you free hand aim, or through the scope? I would imagine at that distance you would have free aimed?
    Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    They pointed, shot, then realized they shit themselves! Hey Ryno that about right? Glad you guys are ok holy f"$k that would get the blood moving
    We we both were looking through our scopes, but it was pretty instinctive....there was zero time to think.
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Glad to hear you weren't mauled. 10 yards is really close. Did both of you hit that bear? Good shooting under that pressure.
    Not uncommon in EK as I have had a similar situation bow hunting, but was lucky she ran the other way. Have to have your head on a swivel when calling for elk and moose!
    You left out the fact you have also been mauled before!
    KCCO

Good job on you guys keeping your heads up and sh*t together!!

Glad everyone made it out ok!

A few mornings ago a friend and I were working in on a bull,we were getting close as he continued to reply to our bugles.We felt we were in a good position and about to get a look.My buddy taps me and says a cow is coming in from the opposite side of us.I look up to see 2 grizzlies at 35yards.I say “bear”, to which my bud doesn’t even flinch figuring it’s a black bear just moseying up the hill.Realizing he doesn’t understand the gravity of the situation I say “grizzly, grizzly, grizzly!”That got his attention!
    I instinctively put the gun to my shoulder, safety off just in case.The cub looked like it was going to head up hill and my buddy said don’t shoot.I wasn’t going to but was uneasy with the situation.In the blink on an eye the sow locked in on us and charged.At 11 yards she was still charging hard and showed no indication that this was a bluff.She passed what I considered to be too close and pulled the trigger and half a second later my buddy did the same and dropped her.
    We radioed another guy with us to head to cell range to call the CO and let us know what they wanted us to do.We flagged the brass and documented the scene with our phones.The CO interviewed us and assured us we did 100% the right thing and said we were lucky not to be hurt.
    Yesterday another EK hunter was mauled by a sow, sounds like a very similar situation to my own.
    Be careful out there, these things happen so fast you wouldn't believe it.
    Guns save the day again! Yes -You guys did the right thing & congrats on your accuracy & control when confronted by an animal that wanted to kill you.
    Yes the charge is very fast. Was charged from 40 yards or so by a grizz & one has about 3 to 4 seconds to load aim & fire.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

You left out the fact you have also been mauled before!
    I remember that story!! Crazy stuff be safe out there all

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Well done. If more did like you these events wouldn't be happening so often.
    100% with you!!!.....i'm not waiting to see if turns into a bluff charge any longer!

Wow, what an event to experience. Glad to hear it went well. Great idea on flagging the location on the brass to help reenact the ordeal.

Glad to hear you guys are safe and sound. I'll be hunting out that way next week. Better keep on my toes.