Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Charged by a Grizz

Re: Charged by a Grizz

What caliber rifles were you two packing? Excuse my ignorance as I've never been elk hunting but are the grizzlies attracted to your elk calling, or is it just bad luck. Seems like the majority of grizzly attacks involve elk hunting.

Just trying to put my mind at easy when I head into 4-37 for goats...

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

“A few years back my nephew and brother had a boar charge them, my nephew 16 at the time shot the bear in the head which was in a full charge and dropped it at 9 yards, we walked the bears tracks back and it was bedded in a depression in the ground 20 yards away, he was watching the trail where the elk would walk up a timbered Ridge to their bedding area, I’m assuming as soon as the bear seen movement he charged.
    My nephew was lucky to catch the bear charging out of the corner of his eye and shot it from his hip !”

Way to keep it together and drop the bear, and even better your both ok.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 10-01-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Holy Hell Man.Enjoy your posts especially when your still here.Keep it going!Your partner is your bestest friend!! Cheers Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    You left out the fact you have also been mauled before!
    Yes, I was referring to calling in Gbears while calling for elk. Being mauled was scary and we were extremely lucky to survive without any major injuries. It has taken years to get comfortable tent camping. Again glad you and your partner are okay
    Live to Hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    We we both were looking through our scopes, but it was pretty instinctive....there was zero time to think.
    Wow......I was charged by a black bear once, and had to aim free hand and nailed him, that's impressive staying with your target so close with a scope..

guest Guest

Great to hear you and Buddy are OK Rhyno , holy crap them are some scary times that can happen real FAST. Brings back things I'd rather forget.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_trees View Post
    What caliber rifles were you two packing? Excuse my ignorance as I've never been elk hunting but are the grizzlies attracted to your elk calling, or is it just bad luck. Seems like the majority of grizzly attacks involve elk hunting.

Just trying to put my mind at easy when I head into 4-37 for goats...
    7 mag and 30/06, and yes it is believed the elk were responding the our calls.
    KCCO

Glad you guys are ok and no one got hurt. When I got my wilderness carry permit to carry a hand gun for work I was told 25metres was your safe zone. If a threatening animal comes into that zone you have every right to shoot. Obviously it needs to show signs of aggression.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Well done. It's these situations that are making me happy to go hunting with a buddy.

Glad to hear you guys are safe. Well done.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand