Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimberley/Cranbrook Newbie

Kimberley/Cranbrook Newbie

Hey everyone!

I'm a new first generation hunter who's looking to shoot his first deer this season.

I've been trying to figure everything out on my own, but would be awesome if anyone out there would be kind enough to take me out at least once or twice to show me the ropes.

I feel like you can read all the literature and do tons of research, but without experience and first-hand knowledge it's still all a bit of a guessing game.

I have lots of experience in the outdoors (climbing, hiking, backcountry camping, fishing, etc.) and am physically fit (can carry a heavy pack).

If you're interested in sharing some of your knowledge with a new next-generation hunter - I'd be happy to buy you a beer and chat about going out sometime.

I'm located in Kimberley, so ideally it would be somewhere in that general area.

Thanks for reading!

--
    Blair
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kimberley/Cranbrook Newbie

Buy a WT tag where you are, find a good area with sign, and park your ass down and wait, you'll get one....

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Buy a WT tag where you are, find a good area with sign, and park your ass down and wait, you'll get one....
    haha so far that's been the general plan. Been out a handful of times and sat for hours on end without seeing anything (with the exception of one WT doe right before the sun was fully down).

As someone totally new to hunting I start to wonder if I'm doing the right things. Should I have moved around to another cut block? Can they smell me (did the wind change direction), are there even any deer around here or are they even coming through here anymore?

Mostly I'm huffing around cutblocks looking for good high points to glass from. Also keeping in mind food sources (open meadows and grass openings in the cutblocks) and water sources. Then I usually hunker down and wait...is this the right thing to be doing?

Thanks!

Good luck Blair. Lots of great habitat and lots of animals in the cranny/kimbo area. Just keep picking away til you find honey holes.. there are millions of them to be found
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Good luck Blair. Lots of great habitat and lots of animals in the cranny/kimbo area. Just keep picking away til you find honey holes.. there are millions of them to be found
    Thanks rocksteady! Yeah, I'm hoping that The Great One's famous quote - "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" applies to hunting haha. I plan to be out in the bush as much as I can to maximise my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by forb3s View Post
    haha so far that's been the general plan. Been out a handful of times and sat for hours on end without seeing anything (with the exception of one WT doe right before the sun was fully down).

As someone totally new to hunting I start to wonder if I'm doing the right things. Should I have moved around to another cut block? Can they smell me (did the wind change direction), are there even any deer around here or are they even coming through here anymore?

Mostly I'm huffing around cutblocks looking for good high points to glass from. Also keeping in mind food sources (open meadows and grass openings in the cutblocks) and water sources. Then I usually hunker down and wait...is this the right thing to be doing?

Thanks!
    If you do what your doing around freshest sign you can find, and be patient, you WILL connect eventually..

Quote Originally Posted by forb3s View Post
    Thanks rocksteady! Yeah, I'm hoping that The Great One's famous quote - "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" applies to hunting haha. I plan to be out in the bush as much as I can to maximise my chances.
    You will find a honey hole that produces. I can't draw a circle on a map for you and say go there (Cause that s where I will be)...

Do lots of scouting, let your sightings guide you as to which area has the highest concentration then hunt it hard..

You mention hiking into a cutblock and glassing.. try walking the perimeter of the block until you find well used game trails, then follow them in 3 or 400 yards... maybe the deer ate hanging up in the timber til last light.. in there a ways they me active earlier..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Send me a pm after elk season. Be glad to go out and show you what I consider decent white tail deer habitat looks like. I'm in meadowbrook. That said, for around here, your looking for 1-5 year old cut blocks that don't have a road or trail through them and has a nice forested edge. Older blocks are good to, but regeneration height often limits shooting lanes and distances.Do a walk through along block 10-20 m from edge to confirm use then setup where your scent won't betray you. Last half hour of shooting light is when you can expect action. Personally, I really enjoy the last part of the season and spending time in a stand and rattling. Don't need a stand to rattle though and we can go through that too.

Blair I am home from the North and will give you a shout this weekend and I will give you a couple spots to check out, don't sweat it lots of experienced hunters are struggling at the moment to find game myself included. The weather needs to change before the hunting will get any good.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    You will find a honey hole that produces. I can't draw a circle on a map for you and say go there (Cause that s where I will be)...

Do lots of scouting, let your sightings guide you as to which area has the highest concentration then hunt it hard..

You mention hiking into a cutblock and glassing.. try walking the perimeter of the block until you find well used game trails, then follow them in 3 or 400 yards... maybe the deer ate hanging up in the timber til last light.. in there a ways they me active earlier..
    Haha totally and I wouldn't expect you to give away your spot

Awesome! I'll give that a try this weekend and see if it produces anything for me. Great point to get into the timber a bit. Thanks!