Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: No ATV use in 3-28, 3-29 and 3-30

Re: No ATV use in 3-28, 3-29 and 3-30

Setting aside First Nation issues --

ATV bans are coming in the next regulations. The fire just implemented some sooner. Access has been a big concern of ministry biologists.

Concerned about ATV bans, let province know. Personally don't like ATV's, but each his own.

Leaving the FN issue aside for a moment, I might risk offending some of my good friends here by writing this; but is an ATV ban really worth the "sky is falling" sentiment I see expressed here?

Sure, I can see the utility many find in using them, but if certain designated logging roads still give us access to areas that we can road hunt if we want or hunt on foot, is it really that big an issue?

Maybe I'll get called a Fudd or Old Fogey for saying this but when I started hunting quads were unheard of. People went hunting in the family car or 2WD pickup more often than not and even a 4x4 truck was a specialized piece of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Leaving the FN issue aside for a moment, I might risk offending some of my good friends here by writing this; but is an ATV ban really worth the "sky is falling" sentiment I see expressed here?

Sure, I can see the utility many find in using them, but if certain designated logging roads still give us access to areas that we can road hunt if we want or hunt on foot, is it really that big an issue?

Maybe I'll get called a Fudd or Old Fogey for saying this but when I started hunting quads were unheard of. People went hunting in the family car or 2WD pickup more often than not and even a 4x4 truck was a specialized piece of equipment.
    No, there is nothing wrong by banning the ATV's in my opinion, although, I don't really get it.
    If they just say quads have to stay on the mainlines, there shouldn't be an issue....atv's would just be like a truck etc.
    I guess they assume that some ATV users, which there are always a few of, won't stick to the rules and will wonder off
    the roads.
    So yes, it is easier to ban quads outright this season, and have everyone use their trucks.
    And some parts of the restriction also apply to vehicles as well, which I think is over done...IMO.
    For me, it doesn't mater what rules are applied.....I accept them.
    But, I just don't like that there still is this "1 rule for us" and "no rule for them"...
    That should be the main focus and disappointment with this latest government restriction/position.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post

I want to ban bicycles and Frenchmen.

Because I don't ride a bike and I'm not French.

SMFH at the "I don't do it so it should be banned" attitude here.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

If they start banning atv use in M-U's across B.C the success rate of hunters will fall substancialy,i remember the 'ol days' before ATV's and getting your game every yrs was tougher and getting out it of the bush tougher yet!
    personally hope it doesnt happen

takla
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    I want to ban bicycles and Frenchmen.

Because I don't ride a bike and I'm not French.

SMFH at the "I don't do it so it should be banned" attitude here.
    I think what some are saying may be looked at in the wrong light.
    Example, I had an area (me and a few other hard hiking folks), that you could only get to by hiking straight up (to get to the good spot) for 3 hours.
    Excellent deer hunting spot in November, but you had to work hard to get there.
    By putting in the hard work, you were rewarded with some great opportunities.
    But, then came along the dirt bike club, blazed a trail up....
    Note: a trail never existed....nothing.
    From the top of that trail, all they needed to do was make a further trail over to the "good spot".
    So now, as you can imagine, the spot is "not so good"
    I have seen 300+ pound guys up there, just tooling around, making a trail as they go.
    This guy couldn't even get off the quad to walk 100 yards.
    So, all day you see quads and side by sides, driving around on "no road system" at all.
    Now, the rancher has decided to "close it"....not because he is anti-hunting, but he is trying to protect his grazing lease
    grassland.....I understand that.
    But, in the end, there are some, like me, who see that ATV's have been a detriment to the habitat and some of the hunting
    opportunities that existed before they came on the scene.
    If the quads would stay on roads, spur roads, and some true trails, there probably wouldn't be this "divide" amongst us
    hunters.
    Funny how every time the government or the Anti's do something to upset our previous situation with bans and restrictions, we just end up "dumping" on ourselves.
    I hope we can all see this, and what we ourselves are doing to our own hunting community here.
    Stuff like this really just reminds me how bad our situation is, and just how close we are to not being able to hunt in the
    future.
    There seems to be a missing organization for us to "rally behind" and to once again have a voice.
    Between the Anti's Out Cries, The FN complacency, and the Government's Idiocy, we are "Royally F*****", if this
    is the best that we can do amongst ourselves.

I think this ban is the thin edge of the wedge. For all those of you who shrug and state that it doesn't affect you, and so it is fine, well it does affect you and it is not fine. One of this government's first acts was to ban the Grizzly Bear hunt. Now it is quad access on a thin excuse of increased access in the fire areas. This is a bogus excuse. There is absolutely no increased access possible in 3-28 for instance. Why not just draw a line around the fire and exclude quads from that area? Why not just say, no use off road, as they did all summer with trucks, and still banned ATVs outright. I use my ATV to save fuel, it is expensive using a truck all the time, as all of you know. Also it saves a few scratches on my truck on some roads. I never go off a designated road anyway.

This has to hurt all the ATV businesses out there, as the summertime fire ban must have hurt - no regular servicing, no breakdowns, no additional goodies being sold - I sure hope they are lobbying the government to change this idiotic rule. It definitely benefits gas stations, who will gain from these restrictions. It also hurts us ATV users wallets. And, it is one more step down the road to more restrictions, just watch. If they get away with this with only some minor complaints, they won't hesitate to move further next year.

It's really unfortunate the only thing hunters can agree on is we will loose hunting,and ain't nobody gonna step up and put a stop too the special interest group.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Retired View Post
    I think this ban is the thin edge of the wedge. For all those of you who shrug and state that it doesn't affect you, and so it is fine, well it does affect you and it is not fine. One of this government's first acts was to ban the Grizzly Bear hunt. Now it is quad access on a thin excuse of increased access in the fire areas. This is a bogus excuse. There is absolutely no increased access possible in 3-28 for instance. Why not just draw a line around the fire and exclude quads from that area? Why not just say, no use off road, as they did all summer with trucks, and still banned ATVs outright. I use my ATV to save fuel, it is expensive using a truck all the time, as all of you know. Also it saves a few scratches on my truck on some roads. I never go off a designated road anyway.

This has to hurt all the ATV businesses out there, as the summertime fire ban must have hurt - no regular servicing, no breakdowns, no additional goodies being sold - I sure hope they are lobbying the government to change this idiotic rule. It definitely benefits gas stations, who will gain from these restrictions. It also hurts us ATV users wallets. And, it is one more step down the road to more restrictions, just watch. If they get away with this with only some minor complaints, they won't hesitate to move further next year.
    You are absolutely correct, this is the sharp edge of the wedge...I have property in 3-29 and use my ATV everyday...stay on the trails and FSR hike in to my favourite spots. The fire is 50km from my place yet they throw a ban on the entire region. It has nothing to do with the burned area, the new Green/NDP are itching to satisfy the special interest groups who are looking for a TOTAL ban. Everyone should be very concerned, this is just the start. What next, Sheep hunt bans ?? Goat hunt bans?? it started with the grizzly issue based on emotion and zero science...I have a call in to the CO service in Kamloops, however no response. Everyone needs to call them

Quote Originally Posted by Busterbrown View Post
    You are absolutely correct, this is the sharp edge of the wedge...I have property in 3-29 and use my ATV everyday...stay on the trails and FSR hike in to my favourite spots. The fire is 50km from my place yet they throw a ban on the entire region. It has nothing to do with the burned area, the new Green/NDP are itching to satisfy the special interest groups who are looking for a TOTAL ban. Everyone should be very concerned, this is just the start. What next, Sheep hunt bans ?? Goat hunt bans?? it started with the grizzly issue based on emotion and zero science...I have a call in to the CO service in Kamloops, however no response. Everyone needs to call them
    Don't mean to discourage you about calling the CO in your area, but, the policy unfortunately isn't made by them.
    You can ask to see who is....
    Does anyone here know who direct contact should be made to in the Ministry for R3?
    What is their position?
    Calling the MLA is worth a shot, but sadly that is probably a waste of time if it is NDP.