Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help re: grizzly bear research

Need some help re: grizzly bear research

I'm engaged in a firm (but polite) discussion with Faisal Moola (Suzuki Foundation) on a friend's Facebook wall about the validity of BC's grizzly bear hunt.

Here's the research that has been provided by him.

Faisal Moolahi Catherine Morris - your friend Glenn is correct. Bear #148 was legally shot and killed by a trophy hunter in BC, after it wandered into the province from a protected area on the Alberta side of the border. The bear was protected from being shot as long as it remained on the Alberta side of the border, as Alberta has had a moratorium on the hunting of grizzly bears for sometime - explicitly - out of concern about the precipitous decline in grizzly populations in the province. Every single grizzly population in Alberta is now ranked at risk, and Bear148 was critical to the recovery of her home population (it was originally from the Bow Valley) as she was a reproductive female with the potential of having as many as 10 cubs in her lifetime. Female grizzlies are in fact the reproductive engines of grizzly populations. The species is among the slowest reproducing mammal species on the continent. Female bears reproduce late in life and cub mortality is high. For this reason, we need to do everything we can to prevent the mortality of female bears, like Bear148, as they are so important to sustaining the health of local populations (which as I mentioned are already in precipitous decline in Alberta). Despite their critical importance to the health of grizzly populations, over 30% of the grizzlies killed in BC are females (there is no prohibition on shooting a female bear). Your friend's comment that that there is no conservation concern is misplaced. There is no consensus on the number of grizzly bears in BC, because it is so difficult and expensive to estimate the size of local populations. I have been monitoring grizzly numbers for over 15 years, and on a number of occasions, the BC government has had to revise its estimates downwards. In fact, independent biologists at the University of Calgary have stated, on record, that the number of grizzlies in the province could be half of what the government thinks due to the difficulties in accurately estimating population sizes. In addition, the total number of grizzlies, at the provincial scale, is less important than how many grizzlies (especially females) are found at the local population scale, because so many populations in BC are effectively isolated from one another by roads, rail, townsites etc. Research by my colleagues at the University of Victoria, Simon Fraser University and the University of Calgary have shown that the actual mortality of grizzly bears, at the hands of trophy hunters, regularly exceeds government limits - in other words hunters are killing more bears than the government plans for. This is a problem, because, as I mentioned, grizzlies are not a fast-reproducing species and as a result can not easily recover if their population has been over-killed in a given area. I know, from personal experience, many places in BC that no longer have grizzlies due to over-hunting in the past. Finally, I urge your friend Glen not to put too much stock in how the government is managing grizzly populations. Just as an example: 1) the European Union has sanctioned BC because of its mismanagement of grizzly populations and has banned the importation of trophies from bears hunted in the province; 2) no recovery planning is happening in the province, despite the fact that 9 populations are on the verge of winking out (one has actually disappeared already north of Vancouver; another is about to east of the city). 3) the BC government is obligated, under its current policy, to create a network of 11 large no-hunting zones in the province. Only three have been created (in the early 2000s) because of advocacy by local First Nations - these are now being expanded by the NDP government, but none have been established anywhere else in the province - including in places where over-hunting continues to happen. Your friend can read more in a series of peer-reviewed reports that we have published, including policy critiques. Finally, the BC Auditor General is so concerned, that it has now opened a performance audit of the BC government's management of our grizzly populations. This is unheard of and has not been done for any other species in the country.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/issues/wi...grizzly-bears/

Faisal Moola This map is important. It shows where pervasive over-mortality continues to happen because of trophy hunting in BC: It was published by my colleagues at SFU, UVic, and U of Calgary in the academic journal PLOSone.

Faisal Moola Published peer-reviewed critique of grizzly management policy in BC: http://davidsuzuki.org/.../failing-bcs-grizzlies-report.../

Failing B.C.'s Grizzlies: Report Card and Recommendations for Ensuring a Future…
    DAVIDSUZUKI.ORG

Faisal Moola This map shows the location of all of the threatened and endangered populations of grizzlies in Alberta and BC. Every single population in Alberta is now ranked at risk by the Alberta Government, including the population from where Bear148 came from. Nine populations in BC are similarly at risk - including several that will likely go extinct within the decade if we don't do something to reverse their decline. Grizzlies have already been eliminated from 18 % of British Columbia due to over-hunting and habitat loss, and the species has lost over half of its historical range in North America. At one point there were grizzlies as far south as mexico and as far east as manitoba. They are all gone.

Does anyone know if there is any credible opposing research or verified "holes" in the research? I don't have days to sift through research findings so thought I would tap into the HBC collective brain.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need some help re: grizzly bear research

Here's a good start. http://conservationtruths.org/

Ask "Dr. Moola" what the causes of the highest mortality rates are. Here's a hint, it's not from hunting.

He's belongs to an organization that puts zero of their donated funds back into wildlife and habitat. Zero.... They are advocacy organizations. They make a living off of donations that put zero back into conservation.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

There is a reason that grizzly bears are no longer in a large part of north america, and it is NOT because they were hunted . They were for the most part exterminated, because they do not live in close proximity with humans very well. I have an ideal location where grizzlies used to live that needs to be repopulated...Stanley Park!

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    There is a reason that grizzly bears are no longer in a large part of north america, and it is NOT because they were hunted . They were for the most part exterminated, because they do not live in close proximity with humans very well. I have an ideal location where grizzlies used to live that needs to be repopulated...Stanley Park!
    Very True

What was the guy/authors name that did extensive studies on history of G bears and agrees hunting them is necessary. I know someone posted it on HBC about 3 years ago lots of good facts

I might be mistaken, but because of BC LEH system the areas where grizzlies are hunted are not in these parts of the province that the populations are at risk. The whole point of the LEH system is to limit where and how many animals can be taken. Grizzly bears are the only species that is strictly LEH.
    Mr. Moola says that the BC govt is wrong about the numbers of grizzlies in the province. He says it is hard to estimate because of high cost of research. My question to mr. Moola is. How does he know this? Has he done the research? Have they spent the high cost to do the research?

If you think you can engage in "firm (but polite)" discussion with someone from the Suzuki Foundation you are, respectfully, wasting your time.
    Faisal Moola, among many (if not all) others in this "organization", is beyond reproach in my opinion. You may as well have a beer with Paul Watson.

Can someone on here post his facebook page with his response, on hunting BC facebook page?

This guy needs a good shit kicking..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

I keep reading with some interest all the huge interest by "non -hunters" and so called "conservationists" about grizzly bear hunting. Over the past 10 years our group has consistently spent a few weeks each year in areas 7-42, 7-48,7-49 and 7-50. Every year we encounter more and more bears. We've had them sniff the tents in the alpine, and show up unexpected by the rivers. They have absolutely no fear of anything and are definitely at the top of the food chain. We always put in for the limited entry, not because we want a bear but because if we down an elk or a moose they have first dibs should they decide on an easy meal. In all our time in the field, we have never encountered a wildlife biologist , a university researcher, a government analyst and certainly never anyone from a conservation group! The entire hunter population that you meet on horseback, on atv, on the river or on foot are always talking about the particular game they spotted that day with the addition of "by the way , watch out for grizzlys!! Where do all these statistics come from??? This year , we had two very close encounters. One , while calling in a bull elk with a cow call,we had a bear pop out of the bush at 30 yds, very interested in us! The second, around 11 am , (and a very hot day) coming up from the river we heard a lot of pounding on the trail ahead of us , thinking we had an elk running at us, for some strange reason, Around the corner came a very large grizzly who fortunately made a left turn into the bush after we started yelling . Again 25-30 yds. Alarmingly close! You will not convince me that there is a shortage of bears. (We also counted 3 black bears same week , same area) Grizzly's however do not really like humans of any kind and prefer the solitude habitat of the wilds of BC. Even if you introduce them to the Lower mainland for people to see them, they won't stay.!! If you wish to make a statement against anything, please make sure you can verify the facts upon which you made your opinion. Regards. Walker

Very well said ^^^^^^^^
    " thousands of tired, nerve-shake , over civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home ; that wildness is a necessity." -John Muir