Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-hunter target shooting

Question Non-hunter target shooting

A few days ago, a non-hunter asked me if he needed a hunting license to carry a firearm into the bush, ie. forestry roads, to go to a gravel pit and do some target shooing there, during hunting season.and I couldn't give him answer, any thoughts, ? thanks,ribber

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Non-hunter target shooting

No, but he should take steps to not be identified as hunting by a CO
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

In the FAC days you needed either a hunting licence or permit.

They did away with the permits with the PAL system. All he needs is a PAL

Quote Originally Posted by ribber View Post
    A few days ago, a non-hunter asked me if he needed a hunting license to carry a firearm into the bush, ie. forestry roads, to go to a gravel pit and do some target shooing there, during hunting season.and I couldn't give him answer, any thoughts, ? thanks,ribber
    It would be worth mentioning to him that it might not be taken kindly to by any nearby hunters . . .

Had some Ahole-r-people doing something near me a couple of years ago while I was hunting. Go to the range out of courtesy please.

my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    No, but he should take steps to not be identified as hunting by a CO
    I think it is easier now, than it was. Like they would have to prove that you were actually hunting, because it is legal to carry a NR rifle almost any place, including most two lane, paved secondary roads and in most cases the rifle can be loaded.

A good measure to take in that situation (aside from packing targets and leaving knives and game bags at home) is to keep your rifles in the trunk, trigger lock on - even though it is not a legal requirement. when you've got your target set up, fire away. Drive out of the bush with the rifle locked up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
    A good measure to take in that situation (aside from packing targets and leaving knives and game bags at home) is to keep your rifles in the trunk, trigger lock on - even though it is not a legal requirement. when you've got your target set up, fire away. Drive out of the bush with the rifle locked up again.
    In addition to what Ryo said, do not use trees as a backstop. There have been some incidences of metal being found in marketable timber and causing injuries in the sawmills. I heard a rumor from someone at our gun club that CO's were ticketing anyone that shot into a tree during target practice but that is largely anecdotal.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfire View Post
    In addition to what Ryo said, do not use trees as a backstop. There have been some incidences of metal being found in marketable timber and causing injuries in the sawmills. I heard a rumor from someone at our gun club that CO's were ticketing anyone that shot into a tree during target practice but that is largely anecdotal.
    I highly doubt that, but anything is possible.

The mills I know have metal detectors. As well lead is pretty soft.

I've cut through 1/2" steel rods on a table saw by accident (hidden in a laminated hardwood table top) with no problems, so I'm guessing a mill saw blade would cut through a bullet like butter if it made it through the metal detectors.

All he needs is his PAL. That is a Federal Licence that we all need. To go hunting, we need a hunting licence. To go target shooting, all we need is a PAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    I highly doubt that, but anything is possible.

The mills I know have metal detectors. As well lead is pretty soft.

I've cut through 1/2" steel rods on a table saw by accident (hidden in a laminated hardwood table top) with no problems, so I'm guessing a mill saw blade would cut through a bullet like butter if it made it through the metal detectors.
    the nails used to affix them to the tree are more dangerous