Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wood stove

Re: wood stove

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    Aspen is bogus for firewood. Worse than spruce probably - slight improvement over Balsa. I wish. The others: yes
    I agree balsam fir is the worst....the hardwoods are good but I really like burnin lodgepole pine and Douglas fir..

Heated my first house for years with wood,the best wood I found to last is the knottiest Douglas fir you can find pain in the a$$ to split but lasts along time.

^^^^if you let it dry a bit first, it gets really easy, I've split lots of knotted up Douglas fir using my 8 lb maul...

Wood Knots burn the longest for SURE. RJ

The last year or two feeding a stove at the last place I was getting wood from a heli log dump they were in to fir from pretty much alpine. Twisted tops and knotty pieces just brutal to get through but oh ya... a few BTUs outa that stuff Birch is right up there too. Any wood that isn't dry sux.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

cut some green pine rounds don't split stoke er up before lights out round three should be kickn covers off still warm at 5.00

I think it was Aron Snyder saying he used those duraflame types of logs.

To the OP. Yes briquettes work in a wood stove. They do indeed last a long time, but they don't burn as hot as wood. At bed time, we would throw in a few good hand fulls into the hot stove. When you wake hours later, you just flick the coals a bit and pile on the wood. The coals are still red hot and the stove is quite warm.
    Briquettes worked for us, never had an issue with fumes at all. Maybe because chucked them into a hot stove and didn't open it till hours later.
    I agree on burning nasty knots as well. I keep the nastiest for bedtime.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    The last year or two feeding a stove at the last place I was getting wood from a heli log dump they were in to fir from pretty much alpine. Twisted tops and knotty pieces just brutal to get through but oh ya... a few BTUs outa that stuff Birch is right up there too. Any wood that isn't dry sux.
    I agree - subalpine Doug fir is the ticket if you can get it. I've definitely had unbelievable burn times from it. Really, really dense. If my wood stack ever ends up as a 50/50 mix of dry birch and Fir from 1700m, I'll be an extremely happy wood burner. Got lots of bone dry ponderosa ready to go for this year, Our stove seems to take that really well, but we'll see - lots more split shuffling ahead.

Hemlock is a good one