Thread: Elk hunt Dec-Feb up North

Cool Elk hunt Dec-Feb up North

Hey!
    I got my first Elk LEH for Northern BC (Chetwynd, Dawson etc..) Any advice and where to start researching, public places to go, or people that rent out cabins etc? Ive been looking at Backroad maps but its so hard to know what is public/ private land.
    Any tips would be super helpful! Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk hunt Dec-Feb up North

Call McElhanney in Fort St John and order a land title map for the area you want to hunt. Don't recall the cost, but i remember thinking it was pretty cheap. Shows private land (with name of owner) and crown land. For the area I hunt up there I was able to track down the phone numbers of land owners I found on the map and ask for permission. Did that a few years ago and have built a relationship with those owners, to the point now where I can go back to the same spots every year.
    Last edited by tikkahunter; 09-27-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbear86 View Post
    Hey!
    I got my first Elk LEH for Northern BC (Chetwynd, Dawson etc..) Any advice and where to start researching, public places to go, or people that rent out cabins etc? Ive been looking at Backroad maps but its so hard to know what is public/ private land.
    Any tips would be super helpful! Thanks!

Do a search, lots of threads on this topic. Not as easy to get an elk or permission as it once was. I have filled my draw both times I have had it, but not as easy on round 2. Lots of public land that hold elk, hope for cold and snow, best if you can wait and go when conditions are right. Good luck!
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by tikkahunter View Post
    Call McElhanney in Fort St John and order a land title map for the area you want to hunt. Don't recall the cost, but i remember thinking it was pretty cheap. Shows private land (with name of owner) and crown land. For the area I hunt up there I was able to track down the phone numbers of land owners I found on the map and ask for permission. Did that a few years ago and have built a relationship with those owners, to the point now where I can go back to the same spots every year.
    Thank you! ill give this a try!

Corlanes in Dawson Creek sell the land owner maps for 30 bucks plus taxes.
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye

Hey! For figuring out crown vs private land, download the front counter BC kml file from here http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/mapping/, then open it in google earth. Might take a bit of fooling around to understand it, but make sure you have the "Land Ownership" section activated.
    Also, from my experience, the few cut blocks on crown land hold elk.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Eva_Hunts View Post
    Hey! For figuring out crown vs private land, download the front counter BC kml file from here http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/mapping/, then open it in google earth. Might take a bit of fooling around to understand it, but make sure you have the "Land Ownership" section activated.
    Also, from my experience, the few cut blocks on crown land hold elk.
    Good luck!

Thanks!!!

We did that hunt this year, and it was warmer in chetwynd than in Victoria, elk were up high, and my dad, who's not too mobile these days, was unable to get up to where they were. Landowner permission was difficult, and while the lease roads were wide open, all the spurs were un-plowed. I would bring chains and a winch, or a sled if possible. We stayed at a motel in chetwynd, got a 2 bed suite for the price of a one bed room, since they weren't at all busy. A lot of the advice of locals seemed to be "go down that road just outside of the draw area."
    The only property we saw elk on, at the top of the hill heading out of town towards Dawson, we were told the landowner won't let anyone hunt anymore. We tried but were unable to access the crown land behind it, because dad wasn't that into driving his truck on unmaintained roads.
    I think if one is willing to drive down unplowed roads, or could take a sled or even snowshoes to get a little ways off the well travelled main roads, it would be easier to find animals.
    Do d you get a bull, or either sex tag?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

we have a group draw for antlerless
    bringing a couple trucks.. and probably my quad with a winch..