Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7-27

Re: 7-27

I just got back from 7-27 west of Takla, camping first up at 55km, then a couple of days later at the south end of Nanowit. Had a run-in with a FN brushing crew up around 66km. They were pretty adamant that we couldn't hunt north of some unspecified and moving line of their family hunting grounds, and made a not-so-veiled reference to shooting back if they heard gunshots. Complete BS. After watching them drop a moose out of their so-called hunting territory and then telling us that was the line we couldn't cross, we decided to move from our first camp to our second. We had no support as we were the only hunters around at the time. Turned out to be a good move anyhow, as our second camp was far nicer than the first. My partner and I agreed that without trail cams at our camp, we would have been SOL if they had decided to trash it.

We weren't seeing much sign outside of one or two heavily loaded areas, and the cows were strangely absent until near the end of our trip. We filled one of our tags, but we saw more wolves than moose over the 10 days. The good news is we called our bull in, and it wasn't a completely random, on the road encounter. Maybe it was a little too warm for them the first week, as we only had sub-zero temps two nights of the 10 we were actually hunting.

You'll find moose eventually, but you might have to get away, off the roads a little bit. Perhaps a bit of snow on the ground will help you see fresher sign.

we had problems in 7-26 with aggressive FN aswell. don't let it detour you though! keep on grinding

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, sounds pretty lame. I will not be heading up takla way, going to be around natowite mostly. Or if we dont see any sign, we will move around.
    Some good char in Natowite!

Ah jeez, sure hope no issues with hotheads up there. Not heading in until oct 27 so not even sure access will be possible with snow then. Barge will be down for freeze up then i think so we plan on driving in from ft st james if need be.

Thumbs up to big char, we will have rods, ruby eye wigglers, five of diamonds!