Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inreach Explorer Plus + Backroads map book chip?

Inreach Explorer Plus + Backroads map book chip?

Hey everyone! I'm looking on purchasing the inreach explorer plus and I was wondering if you can use the backroads map book chip on it?
    Since inreach is with Gramin, it should be compatible right? Or do they have their own maps?
    I really like the backroads map on my standard garmin nuvi 58 gps. Hopefully it is compatible.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Inreach Explorer Plus + Backroads map book chip?

Nope. Not compatible

Ah that really sucks. Thanks for the fast reply.

The inreach doesn't have an sd card slot. I think when Garmin releases an inreach that functions just like most of their handheld gps units, there will be a lot of gps only units up for sale.

My hunting buddies and myself have talked about this for a bit. So a few months back, out of curiosity, we called Garmin. The response was that Garmin has been talking with the folks at Backroads maps about this. The Garmin rep said it may possibly work in the next generation InReach.

Good thread... caught between the devil and the deep blue sea...

I have decided against a delorme explorer plus, as support is questionable.... software upgrades unavailable I understand and it looks like those units will become obsolete ( but a few around at good pricing new and used)

The downside of the Garmin explorer plus is that dealer pricing is rigidly controlled it seems.... to the dollar, everywhere pricing is 599.

I am also interested in a backroads compatible unit and would not want to buy the current one, only to find out they have upgraded, or added the Explorer product to other gps products.

I do notice that Garmin usa offers u.s. hunting maps for the explorer plus, but of course, no canadian maps.

If anyone knows of a source for the Garmin explorer plus at a discounted price, please post it.

I'm very pleased with my garmin explorer + so far. The maps are great IMO, even better when paired with your phone on the earthmate app.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    I'm very pleased with my garmin explorer + so far. The maps are great IMO, even better when paired with your phone on the earthmate app.
    How are the maps compared to backroads? Does it actually have FSRs? or just the typical TOPO map?

This is from using it connected to my phone. Iv never used the back roads maps so can't comment but I'm sure they are way better than this. All I'm saying is this works just fine for me

Last edited by Wentrot; 09-27-2017 at 07:21 PM.

I can't seem to upload photos these days lol