Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Moose Rut Status

Northern Moose Rut Status

After no successful local draws this year my brothers and I are headed north for our moose hunt this Thursday. I know the weather has been a little off so I'm wondering what guys are seeing as far as rut activity. We would have rather left a week ago but due to work we had to push it back. We will be hunting the Chetwynd/HH/FSJ portion of the province. Has it peaked? I'm seeing warm weather in that neck of the woods the next few days, have the mornings been cool? Hopefully I'll have something to post up when I return.

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Northern Moose Rut Status

Only seen a few cows this year so far, none with bulls hanging around. Very quiet, rut is awhile off. Although they are calling for snow Sunday haha

Guess I should add this was Labor Day weekend
    Last edited by squamishhunter; 09-26-2017 at 09:29 PM.

got a big bull on Sept 14. Rutting hard, came to grunts and was beating up bushes.

Called in a non-legal bull moose on Saturday in the area you're going too.

All 12 of them between here and the Fraser are grunting tonight. Should be easy calling up north.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    All 12 of them between here and the Fraser are grunting tonight. Should be easy calling up north.
    So there was 13 before your gut shooting pals got theirs? Just curious, as you seem to have a finger on the pulse! K

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    So there was 13 before your gut shooting pals got theirs? Just curious, as you seem to have a finger on the pulse! K

13 IS an unlucky number!!!

Should be good hunting now. Might be less action during the day when its warm. Last 2 years i have shot bulls on sept 27. Wish i was headed north again this year

Perfect. I'll be my throwing out my sleaziest cow calls come this Friday. Haven't been out once yet this year due to local fires, the bans and then work. Game on!!!

Same time every year. Same show. Warm at the moment. A cold calm morning helps with calling them in. Should be one soon here!