Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wall tent stove jack ---> side vs roof?

Re: wall tent stove jack ---> side vs roof?

I had a roof hole front left for 30 years, now have a side hole front left going into the second season. Already prefer the side hole. Couple reasons why. First I now can put a full tarp on the roof and in lower then minus - 20 temps we layer several tarps to create some insulation to help keep the tent warm through the night. Second is that the un-tarped area near the pipe on the roof vent on an older canvas tent will leak in time on to the stove and firewood supply.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

50 yrs of wall tent experience. Tried various locations but the last 25 it has been smack dab in the middle of roof.
    14 x16 tent allows for 4 people and we all get the same heat. Also use a fly tarp with a cut out around pipe. After a week of steady rain most tents will drip.

Mess stays in the corner. Stove pipe is used so creosote drains into the stove, but you'll still get staining. I don't know if there is an answer.

Through the roof, front left corner. Heavy Poly tarp with a snug opening for stove pipe. Stove draws well, never had any water issues.

My hunting partner and I did this to solve the problem of support on the stove pipe on our through the back wall . Pipe screws right into the support. Works awesome and allows the use of a full tarp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN02441.JPG  

^^^ That is AWESOME. Unfortunately, in a 10x12 I don't have room to run it out the back wall (not wide enough) but when we have kids and upsize the tent I can see that happening. I gotta figure out if I can rig something similar off the corner at the porch!

Ive had both, through the wall and through the roof. Just bought a new wall tent and went back to the through wall. Don't want to be cutting anymore holes in $60.00 tarps. No more tarps shifting in winds and melting against the stove pipe when though the roof.
    I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody alike.

Yup, through the wall. Drafting has never been an issue. I use a large beach umbrella screw to hold the pipe support post. Works like a charm.

Been out in the wall tent twice wince we bought it and have found the side wall to work well so far. Set it up in Tofino in a downpour and we stayed dry inside (once we dug a trench to divert water from flowing over the ground into the tent) and had zero issue with water or creosote running down the stove pipe into the tent. Right now I'm using 5 sections of 5" pipe but I'm thinking of eliminating 3 of them and replacing with a nesting pipe after the second elbow so as to maintain/increase the height above the ridge and create more room inside the stove for storage during transportation and when not in use.

(for some reason it won't let me upload a photo of the setup)

Quote Originally Posted by cmac View Post
    I have always used a side vent for my stove. Never had any issues, draws fine and dont have creasote running onto the stove jack. If you figure out a stove pipe support begore you leave home you are all set.
    For exterior stove pipe support we use 3 green alder or aspen poles in a tee pee configuration with a bit of haywire to hold them together. works great and no extra gear to pack.
    Semper in excretum altum